Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just finished planting my 37 gal new setup. I just had a question about planting Eleocharis acicularis. I remember hearing somewhere that it will help it grow better if you trim the top off a little. The Eleocharis acicularis that I got was grown emersed in a pot. It has those little seedheads all over the top. Does everyone agree that I need to trim the tops? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would believe that trimming and planting plants that were grown emersed would add to the shock of submersed growing.

The most important thing is to separate the plantlets and spread them around the area you want them to grow in. If you plant them all in one clump they will have a difficult time spreading out.

After they have been acclimated to their new home then you can mow the lawn if that is what you want.

·
Administrator
7,394 Posts
I've started with submersed stuff, trimmed off the tops and planted them in clumps with good success. I've never done the trimming with emersed stock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like I better just leave things until the plants adjust to submersed conditions. Yes aquaphish I did pull them apart into many little clumps. They should be able to spread just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts