Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next NPT (and probably final one) is going to be a bit strange. It's vertebrate denizens are going to be African Cichlids. I have one already and he needs some friends.

Anyway, they are notorious diggers and a broad soil substrate is out of the question, but I'm thinking some plant pots might work. I've never used pots in a tank. Are simple clay pots OK, or is another type better? Which do you prefer?

TIA,
Jim

·
Registered
203 Posts
It seems like clay would be fine. What I'm not sure about is if it should have a drain hole on the bottom or not. Are you planning on soil capped with gravel?

Maybe gravel bottom, soil, gravel cap in a clay pot with drain hole would make sense as it would allow for some aeration?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any clay pot will do, if you look at my journal I just posted, I have a mix of clay and glazed clay pots. Just put a thin layer of gravel and a rock plug at the bottom (some people suggest a paper towel lining), followed by 1" of soil and then an 1" of gravel sand. Works like a charm! Good luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure even pots will work but it's worth a try. When I first got him, he went into NPT #1, 10 gallon, and was well behaved until he grew an inch or so. When he first started digging, I put in some sandstone chunks averaging 2 x 2 x 1" thick around some of the more important plants and he's actually tunneled underneath them. Right now only a well-rooted Wisteria and a few Ludwigia Repens are holding on. There are a couple Crypt leaves poking out from some of his slash piles, but the crowns have disappeared. It's really pretty comical and I suspect aquascaping is his hobby, too! ;)

Thanks again,
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts