Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today and collected some plants... I am not sure all of them are aquatic.. the water level this days is low in S. Florida so I am not sure if this are plants that will thrive submersed....

- If you see something you can ID, please shoot the name.
- If you see something that should not be in the aquarium, jump, scream... oh, and please let me know.

Here they go...

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...and the last one

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Benicio,

#2 could be Water Sprite. I believe it is found in Fl. We found some in the San Marcos River, TX last week. There is a very similar looking plant here that is terrestrial. It does not do well in water. Time will tell. If its water sprite, it is a good find.

http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's Page/Aquarium/Expedition 1/Expedition 1_04.html

#5 Bacopa monnieri - grows well in aquariums.

#6 is really interesting. like a Crinium. plant one in the subtrate. You may need to wrap a lot off lead solder to the roots to weigh it down.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In #5 I was pointing at the one behind Bacopa... it looks and feels almost like an algae...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
#2 is a terrestrial. I don't know what it's called, but I have seen it growing around here. It shoots out small white flowers.

#7 is also definitely a terrestrial.

Carlos

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
#6 is a Crinum species, probably C. americanum, which is found in the southeastern states.
#5 looks like a Utricularia species (bladderwort)
#4 could be a Ludwigia species
#2 has leaves like Ceratopteris, but it is a stem plant, whereas Ceratopteris is a crown plant. Ceratopteris is a fern, but I bet #2 is a flowering plant. It looks like it is adapted to submersed or emersed growth. This could be an interesting aquarium plant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a close up of what I meant to be Unknown 5.. and a close up of my L. Repens on which algae developed!!!! (I though i washed scrubbed etc. those plants... now I'll have to get rid of the algae..) What type of algae is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HeyPK,

I do not see any roots on that plant... is it a stem plant? Right now it is floating in the water, how do I plant it on the substrate? can I cut it in two pieces and plant two of them?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I think that some or most of the bladderworts do not produce roots. They are like Ceratophyllum in that respect. I would weight the stems down on the gravel with some small pebbles, but would not expect them to root.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts