Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about experiences with plants that do well in colder temps as well the effect of plants when the temp varies between night and day. I currently have a mini s setup without a heater and the temp drops to around 67 at night and moves up to 73 during the day. After several months the HC looks super healthy as well the E.T. Micro. Anubias (which I don't think is sensitive) hasn't really done all that great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's a big variance in temperatures for a 24 hour period. In nature the water would probably swing 2-3 degrees between day and night, more so at the surface than the bottom. This would be a very interesting experiment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would suggest that ludwigia repens would grow with large swings in temperature. I have some in a 2.5 gallon bowl. The temp goes from 70 to 77 just before I turn the light off. I am using a 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb(like 26 watts I think) 6500 K. My ludwigia is exploding in there. my Stringy moss however is not doing as well.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a big variance in temperatures for a 24 hour period. In nature the water would probably swing 2-3 degrees between day and night, more so at the surface than the bottom. This would be a very interesting experiment.
Yeah, your right it's a big swing, we push the thermoset pretty low at night and since it's a small tank you get the big swing.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest that ludwigia repens would grow with large swings in temperature. I have some in a 2.5 gallon bowl. The temp goes from 70 to 77 just before I turn the light off. I am using a 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb(like 26 watts I think) 6500 K. My ludwigia is exploding in there. my Stringy moss however is not doing as well.
Mosses I've had no problem growing in heaterless tanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mosses actually love and live in the colder temperatures of the scale 68~75.......plants can live in a scale of 65-82 because they are not really as temperature felt as fish, but plants that come form tropical regions (Ex. Pogo. Gayi which comes LAtin AMerica do better in warmer temperatures, a plant like Hornwort which lives in the US Mid-region can go as low as in 55 degrees. It all depends in the plants...

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mosses actually love and live in the colder temperatures of the scale 68~75.......plants can live in a scale of 65-82 because they are not really as temperature felt as fish, but plants that come form tropical regions (Ex. Pogo. Gayi which comes LAtin AMerica do better in warmer temperatures, a plant like Hornwort which lives in the US Mid-region can go as low as in 55 degrees. It all depends in the plants...
I think another part of this is that assuming the temp range is o.k. for the plant, does it affect the plants growth when the temp changes 5 to 6 degrees as opposed to it remaining constant day and night.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm sure the drop in temperature would affect the growth of the plant. The lower temps would decrease the metabolic activity of the plant. However, I don't think this would pose any health issues, just slower growth.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I agree that most mosses are an excellent choice for a cool water tank. I find they actually prefer it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a small cold water tank that I use as a holding tank for plants, the tank is 24x12x12 inches, so about 14 gallons, it is lit by one 24W T5 and I inject CO2 1bps, dose EI method when I remember maybe twice per week, temperature is about 19-20 degree celsius, 65-68 degree Fahrenheit so not particularily cold (although sticking your arm in there it feels cold compared to my other heated tanks) I have had this tank running for several months now with various plants in it, here's what I have in it right now :- weeping moss, spikey moss, Riccia fluitans, narrow leaf fern, Rotala rotundifolia, Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides (maritima), Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Lilaeopsis mauritiana, glosso, HC, e.tenellus, Eleocharis parvula. Quite a lot of plants in there, they are pretty well crammed in, but all do very well I have to say, they grow slow but I have the low as well.

The only plants I have forund so far that do not fare well in this setup are Cryptocoryne species, they just melt and do not make a come back, I was surprised how well most plants did though. I would say I could get away with a few degrees colder in that tank as well with no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts