Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Are you male or female?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, this is a tough question because the overriding question becomes "Internet forum users: male or female..."

That being said... male! ;)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Aw come on girls, I know you're out there.... :wink: I think there's even more than that on the upcoming shirt.....

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I,m not a Jan but a female \:D/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another girl here :) I can't wait to see more results to this poll, we sure seem to be the minority right now!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm here, I'm here!! Let's here it for all my APC Gurlfriendz!!! WooHooo!! Chicks Rule!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah...just what I thought. In our local fish club meetings (COAST, SCAPE) most of the aquarists were male.

Does anyone have any scientific explanations?

·
Registered
885 Posts
97% of the aquarists are male in Turkey. Well, Turkey is a male dominant country so that's not a surprize. I know a study done in US in which the researcher interviewed 50 males and 50 females at a LFS in 1990s. I was surprized with that study that 50 females could be found in an LFS.

I also did a study here in which male female comparisons were made on the bases of age, number of tanks, volume of the tanks etc. : look at massage number 36

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ing-planted-aquariums.html?highlight=research

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, Why is it that aquatic sites I have seen are mostly male and when i visit the LFS on the other hand, just as many or more women in there as men?

·
Registered
885 Posts
That means male aquarist internet users outnumber the female aquarist internet users. The actual male female ratio in USA may be 1:1.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Men have more leisure time, so it stands to reason that males would be more frequent on hobby sites. Also, in families, money spent on hobbies is more likely to be spent on hobbies that the man wants, with the exception being any hobbies or interests the children have. Women are usually left with the scraps when it comes to fun time and money to blow on fun projects. Unless you're my man. :cool:

·
Registered
885 Posts
As the time passes more females begin to visit web sites than males. For web using, the current ratio of females to males is 32.5% to 67,5%. The actual composition in USA is 48% male, 52% female.

Regarding the why questions I have no simple explanation.

·
Registered
885 Posts
It is interesting that when the predictors below are controlled, the sex is not a predictor any longer for predicting the active users of internet. The study inidrectly gives some ideas regarding the why questions:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/72001011/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Research Article
Internet usage: Predictors of active users and frequency of useChristos Emmanouilides, Kathy HammondLondon Business School, Sussex Place, Regent's Park, London NW1 4SA, United Kingdom
setDOI("ADOI=10.1002/(SICI)1520-6653(200021)14:23.0.CO;2-E")AbstractThe factors that predict Internet usage patterns are explored through the use of consumer panel data. We look at two major aspects of usage behavior; active (current) versus lapsed usage and usage frequency among current users.We find that the main predictors of active or current use of the Internet are:
Time since first use of the Internet. Pioneers (very early adopters) are most likely to be active users. However, the relationship is not a linear one; middle adopters are more likely than other groups to have not used the Internet in the previous month.
Location of use. Social use at home, especially with two or more other people.
Specific services used. Personal communication is the most popular activity (used by just over half the sample), but the best predictors of active users are use of information services.
The main predictors of frequent or heavy Internet use (20+ times per month) are:
Broad applications, e.g., business email followed by personal email.
Time since first Internet use. The relationship here is linear; the longer someone has used the Internet, the more likely they are to be a heavy user.
Location of use. Use at work and use at home with two or more other people are both strong predictors of heavy usage.
© 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. and Direct Marketing Educational Foundation, Inc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts