Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ... planning on starting up a small Betta Tank (tank with dividers to house male bettas) and I would like to have a potted crypt (or other) in each "unit". The tank is 24" x 8"x 6" ... there will be 6 sections. Each divider will be clear acrylic with holes drilled for water circulation. I have a small Zoo Med Nano 10 Canister filter I will have bio-material in for bio filtration. I also have a small 14 w Full Spectrum LED light.

I would like to grow some crypts in small ceramic pots (2 inch pots?) in each section ... thoughts on substrate, fertilizing and types of crypts? Any other plants I should consider? These are just background (and fish health) ... not to be the primary focus of the tank. Thanks

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Yup, you can grow crypts in a ceramic pot. You can put a little potting soil ( about 1 inch) in the pot too and cap with it gravel. Cover up the bottom hole in the pot with cloth or nylon.
Other plants that don't need to be planted in a pot are Anubis, and java fern.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered two tubs of tissue culture Cryptocoryne wendetii to avoid pest snails. They are doing great. Yours will do even better in the dirted pots. As far as fertilizing goes the dirt should provide you with micro nutrients. Fish waste rounds you out with Ammonia, Phosphate and trace elements. The only thing left is Potassium. I would dose 380 mg Potassium Sulfate weekly for 10 mg/l Potassium in your five gallons. I'm assuming 10% for displacement. Maybe try dosing a little less K since you won't have many plants. Increase the dose to at least 10 mg/l K if you get holes in leaves. According to my notes that's about 1/16th teaspoon. Keep your eye on the Ammonia in the beginning. The dirt might increase it a little.

Pretty cool project you have going here. You are a conscientious Betta keeper.

·
Super Moderator
5,888 Posts
Welcome to APC! A big variety of aquatic plants will grow in small pots. The smaller species of Cryptocoryne take well to this. My main suggestions are to use a soil substrate with a gravel cap as in the Walstad method, and put two or three pots in each unit. Healthy plants will do most or all of the biofiltration you need with the canister filter providing the necessary circulation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently was running a hospital tank. After successfully treating a sick fish, I added a lot of Hygrophila difformis cuttings from my main tank as floaters in an otherwise bare tank. My wife noticed the fish was taking an interest in the new floaters. Sure enough the fish was very interested in the Wisteria like it was trying to tend to it or something. Your Bettas might like having their own floating plants. Cryptocoryne don't require a ton of light so it might work as an idea for another plant to have a floating plant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts