Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Brought up yet another interesting point. People with deep tanks mistakenly use light-loving species for 'carpets' and 'foregrounds' at the bottom. They don't do well.
For deep tanks, I would use smaller plants that don't need much light (Subwassertang, Bolbitis, Java Fern, Java Moss, etc.) Recently, I got a dwarf variety of Bolbitis that I just love. A fellow club member who gave it to me said it was a poor grower, but that thing is doing just great in my tanks--lashed to small lava rocks.

· Super Moderator
6,115 Posts
Those taller and floating plants do a great job of adjusting light levels if you need to control algae, in addition to their other benefits. I have frogbit, Nymphaea, or vallisneria in all of my tanks. On some tanks I have stronger light fixtures than are needed for Walstad tanks, but don't have dimmers. Too much light, let the plants grow. Too little light, trim or remove.

· Registered
343 Posts
I have yet to figure out if the lack of growth in my 36 gal with the d. Sag is due to light or the soil.
I am sure that the micro sword which is completly gone, was due to a combination of the depth of the tank, its basically 18" deep, and the shade from the knot weed and frogbit.

I just had to cull and trim the frogbit, guppy weed and rotala in my betta tank because the excessive shade was smothering the c. parva, and phang mutated.

I will have to look into the plants Diana mentioned.
A plant list like this is great especially when it includes sizes, growth habits and other peoples experiences.

No two tanks or plants are going to preform the same way but it at least gives people a good idea for layout so the plants and tank can have the best chance of success.
The knot weed that is growing out of control (it now has almost 3 in of emergant growth and i am debating on removing the tank hood) combined with the complete lack of height from the vals has really thrown off how i thought the tank was going to look. The knot, despite being advertised as one, is NOT a mid-ground plant.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts