Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do plants look so awful when the light first comes on for the day and at the end of the day they look great? Is this normal? For example when the light first comes on, my macrandra has the tendency to look less red and in some cases the leaves are pointing downward. By the end of the day they are glowing red and all leaves are up.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The lack of red coloration is a result of the red pigment of chlorophil not being near the surface do to the period of darkness. Th eleaves being curled up is a phototropic response to no light source. You know how plants in windows grow toward the sun? Aquatic plants close up at night to help conserve energy and nutrients and to allow the stomatas on the bottom of ht leaves to have better access to...something. Well anyway, it is perfectly normal and healthy. No need ot worry:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats good to hear. I got worried for a while there. I just knew I had run into another deficiency. I wonder what would happen if you have a small light running after the big lights went off like 5 watts or so?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts