Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently putting together a new tank. its 24x12 (18 high), with 3 x 24watt t5 daylight 6500k, eco-complete, probably 2 bottles diy co2. Residesnts ottos, dwarf puffers and amano shrimps.

This is my plant list at the moment, can anyone see any problem species or anything I should avoid? trying to stick to stuff mostly from sri lanka or sth east asia. Not a true biotope just a little bit :lol: I gotta cut a few out yet (less crypts).

crypto parva, crypto willisii (nevilli), crypto wendtii, crypto becketti, aponogeton bulb, ceratopteris thalictroides, microsorum pteropus, normal and windelov, blyxa japonica, hygrophila difformis, hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, versicularia dubyana.

I was also going to try to make a gravel wall on the back with some little pockets to plant some bits in at various levels (to fill the height). I can only find pics of one person has done that. Anyone else seen it done can point me anywhere?

Cheers

ken

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
First of all, that is a really tall tank for the amount of width you have to work with! Aquascaping such a tank will be difficult.

Second of all, I think you are using too many species for such a small tank. If you are interested in aquascaping moreso than just collecting a menagerie of plants, I would cut back that list by fifty percent. Otherwise, I think you are on the right track on what you want to achieve.

Have you considered creating a moss/fern wall? These plants would not need any gravel. Instead, you sandwich the ferns and moss between two pieces of mesh.

Here is a description:

http://www.killies.com/Ronnie'smosswall.htm

Carlos

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I know - like I said - gotta cut the list down :lol: Although half the list is crypts and ferns (which I almost count as 1 plant each ie all the crypts count for one). But I was going to shoot for about 6-7 different plants. Somebody told me 3 would be best, but I just couldnt do so few. If 1 species doesnt work its start to look bare and if 2 didnt suit the conditions the tank would be practically empty!!!

Yah the height was what worried me. Hence the idea. Basically a peice of acrylic, silicone gravel and pebbles to it, and the 'planters' - and I can then stick aponogeton bulbs, ferns and mosses in and the hydroctyle which can then grow to the surface and provide some floating cover. Where the plants dont cover gravel will show and look great, where they do is cool too :) OH and this is attached at the back wall.....

The moss wall was basically what gave me the idea actually. BUT I am worried I wont be able to light a full moss wall properly. Also moss is a killer for gathering algae (hair etc) and needs alot of maint to keep it nice. But its still an idea too ;)

any better explanation? lol

BTW its going to be rammed with plants. not takashi amano, more jungle, kinda dutch style with alot of plants packed in. Basically because the dwarf puffers need that kind of environment to flourish.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went away and got tough on myself :lol: its so hard to cut stuff out tho!!!

Down to this now - blyxa japonica, crypt willisii, crypt wendtii, hydroctyle sibthorpioides, hygro difformis, java moss, and 1 fern. Cant decide between ceratopteris thalicatroides (indian fern) or microsorum pteropus windelov (java fern variety). Help?!? lol

Better?

·
Registered
215 Posts
kingkano said:
Cant decide between ceratopteris thalicatroides (indian fern) or microsorum pteropus windelov (java fern variety).
Go with the java fern its smaller, darker green, and you can attach it to rocks wood or back wall. The ceratopteris looks kinda similar to hygro difformis.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers. Well my lights came, and I have cut the list down a bit more. Tell me what you think. I do need it to be dense in areas so the puffers have places to hide in.

Blyxa japonica, crypto willisii (nevilli), hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, java fern windelov, hygro difformis and rotala macrandra. Also java moss for my wall feature. I think the height is going to look a little empty tho??

I am also setting up a new Betta tank at the same time. Its 2.5g 12x8x8, with eco-c/black gravel mixture, about 20watts CF over the top (just a white bulb for now) and open top. What plants would work well?? I was going to try to run it unfiltered, so quick stem plants I think, perhaps that look nice growing emerged maybe even flowering. Open to suggestions.....

thanks for assistance so far.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Your plant selection looks fine. R. macrandra will be the most difficult if your CO2 levels fall below 10ppm. H. difformis should do well so long as you don't run out of P. If you can keep both these plants healthy the rest of your plant selection will thrive.

Your betta tank is a good canidate for floating plants, the fish like them, they don't require CO2 enrichment, and they look best in open top tanks. Salvinia is nice with its shorter root system and fuzzy leafs. Phyllanthus fluitans has one of the shortest root systems and flowers easily. Ludwigia helminthorrhiza has cool floatation sponges and reddish leaves with a medium length root system that will root in a 10" deep tank.   Pistia stratiotes offers a distinctive green color and largish rosettes with a root system trailing to about 18".  Azolla offers a diminuative leaf with short root systems but seems to foster BGA cultures. And finally, Limnobium laevigatum offers shiny medium green leaves with a 16" long root system. If you can manage to collect 3 or 4 of these species you will have a very nice surface presentation.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers. Ya macrandra and blyxa are the most difficult, but hopefully will keep them going. Probably going to use 2 DIY co2s till I get my pressurised system in late august hopefully.

hmmm didnt think of floating plants, thats some good suggestions will look into those. cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ordered the plants. Forgot to ordet the macrandra but oh well. can add it later the rest keeps me busy ;)

I got some frogbit (Limnobium Spongia they told me) x 2, some dwarf sagitaria (sag. lileopteris) for the Betta tank. I already have some salvania can add, and a few other odds and ends. See how that goes.

Ta again for help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts