Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this so I appreciate all the help I can get.
I have a 4 ft(120cm) tank approx. 200 litres(50 gallons)
pH 6.8.
Gh 1.0 degree
Kh 1.0 degree (all done with Red Sea test kit)
It's a planted community tank with 50+tetras plus misc algae controlling creatures. Plants include amazon sword, riccia, java moss, java fern, hair grass and Vallisneria.
Pressurised co2 system
3*38W Arcadia Lamps
fertilised with JBL Ferropol
Was wondering why the plants are not pearling?
Has it anything to do with my Gh and Kh levels?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the tests for NO3 and PO4 so I don't know the readings.
the diffuser I'm using is the one in the Nutrafin CO2 system except that I attached a pressurised Co2 canister to it.
What is a good way of bringing up the GH and KH?
Do you guys have any good products to recommend?
The water composition can be found here (under Bedok waterworks) http://www.pub.gov.sg/our_services/WaterSAWaterQualityParameters.php?l1=2&l2=8&l3=5&l4=8
Substrate is 3 cm of JBL AquaBasis then 5 cm of gravel.
Lamps are T8 lamps on for a duration of 14 hrs daily.
I assumed that the fish will provide the neccesary NO3 and PO4.
I'd say it's a pretty simple case of not having fast enough plant growth to saturate the water before the lights go out. Light and CO2 are both on the low side to saturate such a tank. The type of plants you have, slow Vs fast growers, will also contribute to this.
I don't quite understand the saturation and slow-fast part.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thank you all very much. Well my plants seems to be doing fine. I understand the saturation part now. The only reason I was worried was that I thought absence of pearling meant something was wrong. Thanks for correcting my misconception.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.