Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 gallon tank with the following stats:
- 2; 20 watt CF 6500k GE light bulbs with alumnium foil as a reflector
- 2 DIY bottles of CO2 in 3 liter bottles.
- shrimp and snails are the inhabitants

The problem i'm having is my plants leaves are not staying red. This is noticable on the ludwiga repons i have as well as the red lotus sward (or something similar). I use Eco Complete as a substrate. I'm having excelent growth but when a new leaf comes from the tiger lotus sward it's a beautiful red. Then it slowly turns to green. My ludwiga has a ping hue to it but i feel like some parameter is off and holding the true color back.

I do once a week water changes on average and my photo period is roughly 10.25hours controlled by a timer. I'm trying to reduce the lighting period to reduce GSA. As of now no fertalizing is happening. I have dry ferts at home for my 55g and i'm tempted to bring up ferts mixed for a small water bottle and dosing the PPS method but with 10% water changes due to shrimp.

Advice?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Maybe the problem is that Ludwigia repens is not real red plant. The Lotus comes in red and also in green form as Nymphaea lotus so check what plants you actually have. Red form of Lotus is going to be red even in NO3 of 80 ppm, not green.

·
Registered
126 Posts
aluminum foil is a bad reflector, just to help you out. it might look like it reflects good, but in actuality it disperses the light in all directions instead of just down.

I can't help about the plants though. sorry

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You might be "bleaching" your plants; try cutting back on some of that light, if possible! Add iron, phosphorus, and keep the nitrates a the low side. If the plants are supposed to be red, that will turn them red!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Light isn't the problem. In order for L. repens to display it's healthy deep purple coloration (red is not healthy and due to a lack of nitrogen), it needs to grow steadily, which is usually quickly, under proper amounts of CO2 and nutrients. Strong trace dosing, along with plenty of KNO3 will help. L. repens that stalls because of low CO2, nitrogen, or traces, will rarely develop coloration throughout the entire plant, but only the tops if your lucky--which will turn green later.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Personally I've only achieved good color in plants with either very intense light or good light in a shallow tank. I really don't think your 40watts of cf light is all that intense. I've grown the same plant in the same conditions other than light and in the shallow tank with intense light the colors are amazing throughout the plant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts