Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I've read conflicting opinions (expert and otherwise) on whether plants will absorb the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite produced by fish/food/etc. such that the aquarium will no longer need any biological filter. True of False?

2. The biological filter helps produce oxygen for the fish. True or False.

(Man, I sound like my bio teacher in high-school. ... "Right minus Wrong"!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shane. The plant vs filter concept has caught my attention because of its implications. Some have said that the plants will consume the chemicals (nitrate-trate/ammonia) which the bacteria feed on and hence, the bacteria will eventually starve and die off. Ergo, no biological filter -- even if a biological filter is running.

This means if for one reason or the other, the plants die off, the aquarium will have to go through a new cycle to build-up a new bacterial bloom. This could be deadly to the fishes especially in a well-stocked aquarium.

I'm still trying to find topics on this issue but if anyone else has thoughts on these, please post here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys, I found this paragraph about this issue -

"The Bio-filter bacteria convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. Plants can use all three of those as their source for nitrogen. In fact, ammonia is the preferred nitrogen source for plants. If you add plants to a tank with an established bio-filter, the plants will actually use up some of the ammonia before the bacteria can convert it. That means that there will be less ammonia for the bacteria, so the bacteria colony will decrease in size. And since less ammonia is now being converted to nitrite, there will be less nitrite than before, so some of those bacteria will die off too.

"I recommend starting out with the plants doing the job of removing harmful ammonia. In order for this to work, you must ensure that the plants are growing and thriving before adding the fish.

"My plan for setting up a new planted tank involves setting up all the tank equipment, including CO2 and Lighting, then adding plants, and giving them several weeks to get established before adding any fish. During those several weeks, the plants will get their roots established, use up any nutrients already present in the water (and begin using substrate fertlizers provided), but the algae will starve, since you aren't adding any fish food, and there is no fish waste for those couple weeks. This lets the plants get a head-start on the algae, and ensures a beautiful algae-free tank."
Full text can be found here - http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

So based on your comments, and this article, it seems that plants will consume SOME ammonia, nitrite but not enough to actually work as a substitute for a biological filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.