Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there -
I have a Platy that’s close to two years old (I got him in January 2020). A little over a week ago, I noticed a growth at the top of his tail. It’s pale, fairly large for the size of him, and slightly bumpy (although he doesn’t hold still enough for me to capture that well in a photo) His behaviour hasn’t been off at all lately (normal activity and appetite).
Ordinarily, he lives in a 10g planted aquarium (natural/Walstad) along with 5 black neon tetras and 5 Pygmy corydoras. I do have mechanical filtration running with a HOB. I’ve had him separated since noticing the growth.

Looking it up, it seems like lymphocystis might be the cause. I’m hesitant to put him back in the aquarium with the other fish just in case I’m wrong, but also don’t want to keep him isolated indefinitely since I understand that stress can worsen it. What I’ve read seems to indicate that there isn’t any treatment for it other than keeping them in good conditions and minimizing stress, and that it resolves on its own eventually.

Is anybody able to provide advice on whether that’s likely what I’m looking at?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say that the tank has been set up since January 2021. Water parameters steady: pH 7.6, ammonia less than 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates up to 5, but usually less than that. GH 8, KH 6, temp 23-24C (74-75F).

Mostly top ups, but did a 40% water change mid August. Have been using bottled water since March with Salty Shrimp GH/KH for hardness. Some catappa leaves and alder cones in the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[/QUOTE]
Forgot to say that the tank has been set up since January 2021. Water parameters steady: pH 7.6, ammonia less than 0.25, nitrites 0, nitrates up to 5, but usually less than that. GH 8, KH 6, temp 23-24C (74-75F).

Mostly top ups, but did a 40% water change mid August. Have been using bottled water since March with Salty Shrimp GH/KH for hardness. Some catappa leaves and alder cones in the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can give the platy another tank that has salt in the water, maybe a tablespoon per 10 gallon. All livebearers do better with higher GH and salt.
Hmmm … I don’t currently have another tank to move him to, but I’ll have to give that some thought.
Would you suggest continuing to keep him on his own, at least for a while until this (hopefully) resolves?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If it is cyst, it’s viral and won’t go away on it’s own quickly. Might as well get a 10g and a sponge filter to make him comfortable. No need for a substrate, lights and such.

oh, also, their lifespan is 2-4 years so take that into account.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that makes sense. I do have a sponge filter available, so I’ll look into getting a suitable tank for him. And yeah, I’d thought about the lifespan … I was hoping he wouldn’t be on the early end of it.
Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts