Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know that I just received some Macro lenses for my Sony H50 camera
The set came with a +1, +2, +4 & 10x so I did some playing around with it to test it out.
What I did is set up a tripod, place a peice of lava rock about 1/2 in size and set the camera zoom and focus up. I did a test where I combined the lenses to amplify the magnification, here is my results.

This pic is just the camera alone. NO LENSES

This one is with the 10X attached

This is the 10x & +4 combined

and now the 10x, +4 & +2 combined

Finally the 10x, +4, +2 & +1 all combined

Not bad for a $25 set of lenses.
I will post some more pics of aquatic settings with these lenses soon.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Cool, when do we get to see update pics of the 75?

Seriously, just $25? Those are great shots for such a good price.

-Dave

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
75 gallon update will be soon, please bear with me I want to do a journal from start to current.
Just $25, the camera I am using is a bridge (high end point and shoot) not a DSLR. I want to learn and understand the basics of cameras before I invest too heavily into the hardware. So I landed on the Sony H50, a friend of mine had a previous model with a lot of the aftermarket lenses and accessories. He gave me a demo specifically geared towards what I wanted it for and I jumped right after it. With a little more tweaking on the settings I think the pictures will come out better when I use the macro lenses but I was extremely satisfied with the testing I did.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hehe, good going, Kev! Glad u had fun playing with your toys:p

We definitely should all get on a photo shoot some day during the weekends, when the weather is nice.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Looks good Kev! Yeah I second Paul, we should do a photo shoot around town some weekend. Any ideas guys?
I would recommend doing the local aquatic plant collection/ photography trip for March with Dave as our guide.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Cool! Thanh and I were just discussing about it. I think it all depends on what kindda photography y'all wanna shoot. I was thinking of Mercers Botanical garden which is somewhere around 1960. They have a huge area full of flowers and critters. Perfect if you like nature photography. And for cityscape, there is no better place to shoot than in Downtown.

So anyways, I think we should start another thread since this is Kevin's(sorry Kev;)) We should list places of interest and make a trip to shoot during the weekends.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its cool I have been thinking about our March meeting and a trip to the Botanical Gardens is cool with me. Maybe get a bite to eat afterwords.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is the pic from my ebay auction

and me playing around, I believe I only used the 10x close up for these.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good shots, I have some other pics that came out nice, will try to post them tonight. Some of the focusing problems that I was experancing was the sony trying to "smart" focus on to something else.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The way I worked around it on my P&S was to move the camera back and forth from the object till it focused on it.

The distance from the object to the lens is the problem I believe.

·
Registered
469 Posts
"The way I worked around it on my P&S was to move the camera back and forth from the object till it focused on it. "

My fish won't stay still long enough for a good close up. I tried the above method, but by the time it was about in focus they always moved away. :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
With recent advance in technology, some P/S cameras now even have a continuous or Burst mode. This is so you are able to capture a series of shots, especially useful when you wanna take pictures of moving subjects.

Also, you can try using the Sports scene, which also continuously focusing on the subject. I've had relatively good success capturing fishes using these two modes:eek:

And as for Kev's camera, which I believe has Shutter and Aperture priority, you simply switch to Shutter and choose a good speed for capturing the subjects. The camera will then compensate with a corresponding aperture. A great P/S camera, Kev(and I believe Bush also has similar model:p)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.