Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Re: thinking about the switch EI to PPS-Pro

I've switched recently and couldn't be happier with the results. If the levels in your tanks are high, you might want to pull several large water changes to bring them down before you start the new method. I've got several tanks. The ones where the levels were low responded well immediately. The ones where the levels were high didn't improve until I went back, changed the water, and dropped the levels. Just a recent convert's opinion--not an expert, or anywhere close, by any means.

I am dosing PPS-Pro on both my tanks now, the 10 gallon and my 29 gallon. The plants are growing like wildfire and my Kribs have recently spawned, however, I keep seeing BGA now in both tanks. I try to pick it off the subtrate when I see it and I've been doing frequent water changes (in the early evening and dosing extra KNO3) and it seems to help for a few days but then it comes back again. I also have GSA and GDA, the green dust algea was there before but not as much green spot algea. I'm told that this will pass, I'm just concerned about the Cyano.

I will be moving a week from Saturday, my plan is to remove as much water as I possibly can, maybe all of it and just cover the tank with plastic to keep in the moisture. I will transport my fish in plastic bags and put them in a bucket. Hopefully once I'm established, the GDA & GSA will eventually disapear. I will keep doing water changes, adding extra KNO3 and disturbing the BGA and hopefully that too will disapear.

All and all, I am pleased with the plant growth and the easiness of PPS-Pro.

I switched to PPS Pro on my 29G about 5 weeks ago. It's not very heavily planted, a big patch of valisneria, a bunch of java moss, and 2-3 various crypt species.

5 green corys
2 otos
1 angel
8 rasboras

Eheim 2217 with pressurized co2 run directly into it, inline reactor coming soon

I have a touch of BBA that is now slowly subsiding, my vals have slowed down their growth while my crypts have really shot up faster. The new growth on the crypts are a vibrant green. I love it.

However, I'm now getting GSA on my glass which I never had a problem with till this point. I don't think it's a photoperiod issue. Perhaps I have too little plant load for the 1ml/1G dose?

I really like the ease of the ferts too, I went and bought 2 nalgene 1000mL bottles and a few plastic pipettes. I can't wait to order 2 peristaltic pumps to automate this.

Truly Amazing!!

Okay, perhaps this is a little early. I started PPS-Pro(2 weeks ago) in my 40 gallon tank that I was in the process of gradually converting to a fully planted tank. The substrate is Schultz Aquatic soil mixed with the previous gravel that I had in the tank(I did not fully removed the old gravel as I did not want to screw up the bacterial colonies and restart a mini-cycle). This is topped off with a thin layer of fluorite. The lightling is 90 Watts and pretty cra*py. C02 is provided by 2 DIY bottles hooked to a ceramic glass diffuser and from the looks of it I have yet to see the diffuser release any bubbles eventhough there are no leaks and I can see the yeast/sugar/water mixture fermenting. The plants in the tank are aponogetons, Java fern, Java moss, hygrophilia compact, ambulia, cryptocornes(Cryptocoryne Wendtii and Cryptocoryne willisii). I had this set up in place for almost 2-3 months prior to PPS-Pro dosing and was only dosing with Seachem Comprehensive. With the exception of the aponogetons which were growing like crazy(I don't know what types as I sprouted these Wal-Mart bulbs in my 10 gallon and transferred the plants into the 40 gallon), the plants were not dieing but they were not growing either. 2 weeks after dosing with PPS-Pro, the Cryptocorne willisii gave off a daughter plant so it formed a runner, the hygrophilia compact took off and formed huge leaves and many side stems and roots, the java fern started forming plantlets on leaf tips. I was just about to remove the ambulia because it was doing so poorly. Much to my surprise new stems began forming and it started showing new growth. About the only thing that I noticed that was negative was the growth of brush algae, but I believe that this may have more to do with the DIY CO2 injection than PPS-Pro. Also the brush algae is not a huge problem because the otos and SAE seem to enjoy feasting on it. Diatom algae also formed but was quickly wiped out by the otos and it has since not returned.

I believe that the improved plant growth is more than coincidence and PPS-Pro had a lot do with this. I also believe that once I upgrade the lighting, convert to pressurized c02 injection, and increase plant mass, things will even look better. I know that one can always argue that the plants that I have are low maintenance, low light, and hardy plants to begin with and should do well even in less that ideal set-ups. This is true, but keep in mind that in my case, there was no growth for 2-3 months and signs of new growth only surfaced about 2 weeks after starting PPS-PRO.

Another vote of confidence for PPS-Pro. Thanks Edward. :)

Re: PPS for the planted tank with Discus fishes

Hi,

Now all the plants do extremely WELL!!! All of them grow not too fast but look very nice! There is an ideal shape of leaves and bright color. Algae passed as a watch in the night! I've forgot about glass scraper. Now I can think just about how to make good aquascape. I believe PPS-PRO isn't just fertilizer. It's good approach to keep error free planted tank. I like it. Edward thanks to you for your assistance and guideline. :)

Yours faithfully,
Evergreen

I’ve become a big believer in PPS-Pro! Three and a half weeks ago I converted my 55 gallon and my 20 gallon over to PPS-Pro from dosing with Seachem. I had a bad case of staghorn algae in the 55 gallon which I had been fighting for a long time, to no avail. My CO2 was up at 2.5 bps because I was battling the staghorn, plus when I went much lower than that, I began to see BBA.

My CO2 for both tanks is now at 1 bps; I didn’t think that level was possible for my 55 gallon tank because of the algae issues. Needless to say, the staghorn is now gone in my larger tank. I see very little to no algae in either tank. The plants look great too. I’m sure my fish are happier. This opens up whole new possibilities. I can finally concentrate on aquascaping rather than fighting algae. I only wish I had discovered this earlier. A big THANK YOU to Edward!!!

Just started using PPS Pro about a week ago with a couple of Drew's dosers. Looks OK so far, but the TE mix seems awful rich to me. When I dosed EI manually, I mixed 2 tblsps of TE with 500 ml of water and added about 25 ml to my 55 gallon once a week. This kept the iron at about .2, even when I had a ton of Ludwigia, a huge Sword and large Anubias. The PPS dose is about twice what I was dosing. I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting back, but I wondered about the PPS dose/math?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.