Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Let me interject, and say that the chemistry you learn here wouldn't even be enough to get a foot into an organic chemistry class in college. :) At least mine, anyways.

Although all the information we've been dispelling here may seem overwhelming, it's really pretty simple if we break it down into separate categories.

Lighting. You have that. For a 'high light' tank, I think 2.5-5 wpg power compact lighting is a good rule of thumb. You have that. Cross that off the list.

CO2. Your CO2 system may not be enough to keep up with the plant's demands at these lighting levels. I would consider building a DIY CO2 system with at least two bottles, refreshing one of them every week. Even better, get yourself a pressurized CO2 system to get consistently high levels. Using your KH and pH levels, you can look at a KH-pH chart and see your CO2 concentration. You can feed your CO2 airline into a reactor which will break up the bubbles and mix them into the water column for you. You'll want it between 25-35 ppm.

Nutrients. At these lighting levels, you will need to dose much more. There are four nutrient 'categories' that you pay attention to: Potassium (K+), Nitrate (NO3), Phosphate (PO4), and Fe/micros. You can add NO3 with stump remover --you can find this at your home depot. You'll want the levels to be between 5-15 ppm. You can add PO4 with fleet enema, which you can find at your local pharmacy. 1 ppm is a good level to aim for. You can figure out how much to add of the NO3 with Chuck Gadd's excellent calculator:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

I don't personally use fleet enema. If you do a search on the forum, there was a thread just a few days ago where someone stated how much fleet enema was necessary to add to get 1 ppm in a ten gallon aquarium. Just double the amount to add for your 20g. You don't have to worry about K+, since the KNO3 (stump remover) will add plenty.

You'll want test kits to know what is happening with your tank. I like AP's Nitrate test kit and Seachem's Phosphate test kits --they are more than accurate enough for our needs. A nice schedule would be setting your nutrients at 10 ppm NO3 and 1 ppm PO4 at your weekly 50% water change. Midweek, you test to see where you are at and dose the NO3/PO4 accordingly to get them back up to 10 ppm NO3/1ppm PO4.

Finally, Fe/traces. Flourish, TMG, Kent Botanica are all good products. Try adding 2mL Flourish (or other product) daily for a start for 14mL weekly.

If you have any more questions, let us know. :)

Carlos

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.