Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I woke up to find one of my fire eels dead and all other inhabitants are hanging up at the top of the tank pumping their gills like crazy. The remaining fire eel looks in really bad shape. The only fish not affected are the labyrinth fishes. From what I can find so far is it looks like it could be gill flukes. Has anyone ever dealt with that before and what kind of treatments are available. Please help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ed seeley and ray the pilot,
To give a better run down of the situation. Yesterday everything was fine and normal but I did change one thing. I have been using a sugar/yeast co2 reactor for a few months which to my knowledge has not helped my tank what so ever since I was using HOB filters. So yesterday I hooked in a canister filter and ditched the HOB. I used a submerged spray bar to cut back any surface movement. I been using a drop indicator to measure co2 in the tank at all times since the beginning and it's always in the low, even this morning. I did a check on the water parameters and everything seems to be okay for what I check for.
I have done a 1/3 water change, turned the spray bar to the surface and add the strongest air pump I have with a air wand.
Do you know if Flourish Excel would show up on the co2 drop indicator?
Could it be possible that's how on O2 depletion could occur?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh it was definitely excess co2. A few hours after heavy aeration and surface agitation all fish were back to normal and since then I've been trying to figure out why the drop checker didn't change color. Now I know, the instructions I read (or at least remember reading) said to use aquarium water. Mine which has much higher KH than 4dKH. I was sent a recipe for the mixture using baking soda but it didn't work for me so I'm attempting by trial and error now to see if I can get it.
Thanks for the help guys!
Also, is it okay to use both co2 injection as well as Excel? I have been using both but only because I didn't think co2 was getting in the tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I finally got the water for the drop indicator corrected to 4dKH, It took a lot more dilution than I thought. When I put in the solution it turned the water green right away is that way it should work? Before it would turn blue. I am also going to try putting it directly over the co2 pump to see if I can get it to turn yellow. At least then I will feel a little more comfortable using it as a guide.

As for the Excel, I think I'm going to cut that back for use only when performing water changes and algae breakouts.

Ray, I gotta ask, how did you come across the ingredients for excel? there is no information on the bottle what so ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts