Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with Penguin 330 Power Filters help me out here. I have 3 of them on my 125g African Cichlid tank and on all three of them the right side wheel does not spin. I have rotated wheels amongst all three filters and it is always the right side that fails. Anyone else have similar experiences?? I have tried cleaning the wheels, the tracks the wheel sits in and everything else I could clean. Still, no luck. I appreciate any help someone might offer.

Thanks
-Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
have you tried waxing the wheels? Dip the clean axles into liquid wax from an unscented candle. You may also try waxing the holders too.

Anyway, in a planted tank you don't need the biowheels. You don't really need biomedia since you have plaaannttsss.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Most folks with planted tanks and bio-wheel type filters disable the bio-wheel. Unless you really want it functional, I wouldn't worry about it. It's actually more of a detriment because it will degas CO2, than any help for your plants, and your fish won't suffer for the lack of bio wheel.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use bio-wheels with my low-tech planted tanks and they work fine
tho I don't use the filter cartridges anymore (I make my own).

Have you looked at the little blue inserts that are inside the tracks
that the bio-wheel sets on? Those are the weak link in the design
and will wear out over time. You can get replacements at
drsfostersmith.com and luckily they are also the cheapest parts
to replace.

- Brad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could it have something to do with the tank not being level? Since it's always the right side of the filter, regardless of the wheel you try, I would look for another factor besides the wheels themselves.

·
Registered
143 Posts
how old are the biowheels? sometimes when they get too heavy the are no longer able to spin. Might just have to get new ones. Try putting one on then the other 3 weeks down the road to allow for beneficial bacteria growth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. The filters are on an African Cichlid tank. No plants, no co2 degas worries.
2. The tank is level.
3. The biowheels that aren't working are in brand new condition, ie. no bacteria built up.

I tried turning them and on all three it feels like they are rubbing somewhere, but these filters are about 2 years old and never had problems before. They are actually the Marineland variety, 400's I believe, so no wheel bearings. Thanks for the suggestions all!

-Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts