Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
This looks like a miniature Java fern. I had a few specimens at one time. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. It looks like it's got a case of algae, but maybe that's something on the glass.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
It looks like an undernourished small Cryptocoryne, possibly C. parva or a starved C. x willisii. There also appears to be a stem plant growing up in the middle of it, probably a Najas species.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like an undernourished small Cryptocoryne, possibly C. parva or a starved C. x willisii. There also appears to be a stem plant growing up in the middle of it, probably a Najas species.
After taking your suggestions with laptop in hand I stand by the aquarium and compare pictures for a match. C parva is the winner.
Now I can study and feed my new child

·
Registered
601 Posts
C. parva is the smallest and possibly the slowest growing Crypt. Most people just keep it alive and may get a few leaves a year, some do better. This plant likes a nutrient rich substrate, so if you don't have that already, I suggest putting a root tab underneath it if you'd like to see it grow. Mine just got covered in BBA in a high tech tank and it didn't grow. Now I'm growing it emersed in Aquasoil and it's really starting to take off (from a C. parva perspective). Mine has almost doubled in size from a couple of months ago. Granted it was small to begin with...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Brian,

I've only ever used Seachem Flourish Tabs which have plenty of iron. I'm sure there's cheaper to be had out there on the Internet. I haven't used them in quite a while since moving to CO2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts