Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my little tank, I was totally clueless, & got a regular, unspecified plec. I called my LFS & they said that they would trade him in for me, but before I did, I wanted some opinions on the TYPE of plec to trade in for.

My LFS said that they had several strains in stock, I think gold nugget, royal, chocolate, zebra, & several others. I was advised for cleaning my driftwood (which is beginning to be covered in black brush algae) that a bristlenose would be best. Should I stick to that, & try to get a Bristle, or would one of these others do as well as that one?

Any info is appreciated!

Trav

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Bristlenose would be a good choice, but some people don't like the bristles! If that's the case, I like the idea of a rubberlip/rubbernose pleco. Some of the same characteristics, but no bristles.

I happen to have 4 bristlenose plecs in my tank.

As for that zebra...how many do they have and how much are they? That's one of the coveted ones if it's a true zebra.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bristlenoses would work just fine. Most of them remain small, and some will even breed for you without any coaxing. And the babies are cute.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I really like Bristlenoses too, but I need to ask how big your "little" tank is? I don't recommend any of the above Plec's in anything less than a 20 gallon.
You probably could get by in a 15, but you'd really have to bump up your water changes since they create quite a bit of waste for little guys.

If it's less than a 20 gallon, Oto's would be a much better choice.

Just for the record, if you're looking to get rid of brush algae, none of the Plec's will touch it.

Yes, if they have true Zebra's, that's really unusual. They've been selling for around $200 + each lately. If they're a good price you should grab one up.
Oops, I take back what I said earlier - that's one of the Plec's that could work in a 10 gallon. But they don't eat algae at all, and they aren't quite as hardy as other Plec's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts