Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find the answer and I am sure it has been asked a number if times.
In preparation for building my first sump I have been looking for the best adhesive to attach plexiglass partitions to glass walls. I am reading that silicone is tricky.
Who has the actual experience with what works / what does not?
Is silicone GLUE better and if so: are there any of them that are NOT suitable for aquariums (potential toxicity)?
Looking to hear from folks, who have actual experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Thing is: I already have a ton of plexiglass and have spent more $$ on the project (includes a 3 piece bench/cabinet for 5 very large tanks) than I planned on.
I'd build small tanks from the plexiglass with Wield-On.

But for a divider, I guess roughing the edges of the plexiglass with sandpaper would work to use silicone. Keep in mind that plexiglass can change size based on temperature so don't cut a tight fit against the glass or you might get a nice crack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd build small tanks from the plexiglass with Wield-On.

But for a divider, I guess roughing the edges of the plexiglass with sandpaper would work to use silicone. Keep in mind that plexiglass can change size based on temperature so don't cut a tight fit against the glass or you might get a nice crack.
Nope. Roughing it is not the way. I found an answer I am happy with. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. Roughing it is not the way. But I appreciate the answer, nonetheless. I think I found what I am looking for and silicone it actually is. Just some flat strips glued in front and behing the partitions as braces make a tremendous difference. there is a short video in Youtube on how strong it becomes. I did not bookmark it (dang!), but I will find it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Do you know what kind of strips? I was thinking about that, something like a holder you slide the divider in and out.
I guess you can find those holders in an office supply store.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know what kind of strips? I was thinking about that, something like a holder you slide the divider in and out.
I guess you can find those holders in an office supply store.
Here is a high quality Picasso for You. When You see it.
just flat strips of acrylic: 1.5x4, smthng like that
Handwriting Slope Rectangle Parallel Font

1 - 8 of 8 Posts