Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find the answer and I am sure it has been asked a number if times.
In preparation for building my first sump I have been looking for the best adhesive to attach plexiglass partitions to glass walls. I am reading that silicone is tricky.
Who has the actual experience with what works / what does not?
Is silicone GLUE better and if so: are there any of them that are NOT suitable for aquariums (potential toxicity)?
Looking to hear from folks, who have actual experience. Thanks!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd build small tanks from the plexiglass with Wield-On.

But for a divider, I guess roughing the edges of the plexiglass with sandpaper would work to use silicone. Keep in mind that plexiglass can change size based on temperature so don't cut a tight fit against the glass or you might get a nice crack.
Nope. Roughing it is not the way. I found an answer I am happy with. Thanks.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. Roughing it is not the way. But I appreciate the answer, nonetheless. I think I found what I am looking for and silicone it actually is. Just some flat strips glued in front and behing the partitions as braces make a tremendous difference. there is a short video in Youtube on how strong it becomes. I did not bookmark it (dang!), but I will find it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know what kind of strips? I was thinking about that, something like a holder you slide the divider in and out.
I guess you can find those holders in an office supply store.
Here is a high quality Picasso for You. When You see it.
just flat strips of acrylic: 1.5x4, smthng like that
Handwriting Slope Rectangle Parallel Font

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know what kind of strips? I was thinking about that, something like a holder you slide the divider in and out.
I guess you can find those holders in an office supply store.
I forgot to say, that yes, the concept of removable panels is a great one. BTW. Good link. What else do they have… hmmm … let’s see….

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember reading using acetone to open pores in pvc for plastic paint to properly adhere. It might work for silicone & plexiglass too.
Since initial post I found a video online where the guy, who built his sump, pulls full force on the divider set in place with just silicone. Just loads of it. It looks like the whole contraption will shatter, but it holds well. Way excessive for what it needs to do, but reassuring that it will last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts