Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a description of this fish, Poecilia "endler" (aka "Endler's Livebearer"), while trying to search for very small fish that would work well in "nano" type tanks. They look rather nice and sound like they would work well. Does anyone know sources for these? I have not asked all of the LFS's yet, and I'm not sure if they will special order or not.

Anyone know of a good mail-order source or breeder of these fish? Thanks.

-J

·
Registered
852 Posts
Al Klopman is a specialty livebearer breeder around where I live. He has Endler's descended from the original collection and is reasonably priced. He also has a lot of other nice fish and will definitely mail order them for you. PM me for his email address if you're interested.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Yes, you really have to watch for pure strains since the will interbreed with Guppies, and it has become a problem with some sources.

I also know a girl who has them coming out of her ears since she's been tubbing them and they've really been going to town.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm. Well, I obviously need to learn a bit more. The attraction is small size, docility, "durability". I know White Clouds fit those bills, but they did not like my little nano tank last time I tried. Not sure I want another Betta. I thought I would look at these fish to see if they would work for that. If not, then maybe in one of my community tanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Heterandria fomrosa would fit that bill nicely. They don't have much color(unless you get some with red dorsal fins like mine), but definetly have the "cute" factor!

·
Registered
852 Posts
rusticitas said:
Hm. Well, I obviously need to learn a bit more. The attraction is small size, docility, "durability". I know White Clouds fit those bills, but they did not like my little nano tank last time I tried. Not sure I want another Betta. I thought I would look at these fish to see if they would work for that. If not, then maybe in one of my community tanks.
I think Endler's are an excellent choice, and the guy I know who breeds them commercial got his from the original stock--they are pure.

Plus they breed like crazy, you'll have some to sell/give away in no time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm breeding the little buggers myself. I don't have any adults available right now, but I do have several fry/juvies that should be ready to go in three or four weeks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had seen those Heterandria formosa listed on AZ Garden's web site, and thought they looked interesting. Actually, all killifish look pretty interesting. I just "discovered" them...

I hope keeping fish in small tanks, Betta's excluded here for the moment, is not a "cruel" concept. I just like the idea of several smaller tanks instead of one large tank, as that would fit better into my apartment and office better.

I tried a couple of white clouds in my 2g planted "jar" and they did not seem entirely thrilled with it. I think the wanted more room. Just acted very antsy, then began to do daily dives to the countertop. So I returned them to their original 10g tank.

-J

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
If you ever come to north florida, bring a net with you and you'll be able to scoop out however many H. formosas you could ever want. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up putting a pair (male, female) of guppies into the jar. They seemed very happy. I had no idea guppies were so "personable" and "outgoing". They do not freak out every time I walk by, on the contrary they come right up to the glass and seem to seek out attention. Pretty cool. I had posted some pictures earlier in the new aquarists section.

As for the H. formosa, I should just hit N. Florida anyway! I really need to get out on vacation... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
canadian endlers

hi,
im looking for endlers in canada, i dont want to bother with customs anymore, too much hassel and alot of lost money, could anyone direct me to a dealer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
J,
I've been sending out a bunch lately (plus the fact that I dumped a bunch into my pond to clear space in my aquarium) so am low on females now. But I do have a number of males that I can ship you. Here's a picture of the strain that I'm raising...

No pic of a female since they look more or less like a feeder guppy. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Darn, I'd like to get my hands on a male or 3 (I have one lonely female), but it probably wouldn't be too practical to ship that small an amount all the way across the country, would it?. Of course I wouldn't put more than one male with the gal, but I have spots for a few others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts