Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Which type of fish do you prefer as your main show fish in an aquascape?

• Characins (tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Livebearers (swordtails, guppies, mollies)

• Dwarf cichlids (Apistogramma sp., rams, kribensis)

• Small anabantids (bettas, chocolate gouramis, sparkling gouramis)

• Larger cichlids (discus, angelfish)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The choice of fish in an aquascape is very important, as it either complements or disrupts the impression one is trying to create. For example, a school of colorful fish like cardinal tetras in an aquascape dominated by red leaved plants often looks garish and tacky. If a fish hides a lot and is too secretive, then the aquascape often looks empty. If a fish is too small for an aquascape, the impression they create can be underwhelming.

The types of fish I like to use most in my aquascapes are shoaling characins, especially the more slender, colorful species like the cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, and green neon tetra. Although colorful, I feel that their movements are quite soothing --especially the tighter schooling rummynose tetras which tend to move around as one. Compare that to the more hectic danios which are always darting haphazardly throughout the tank. :)

I also enjoy most pencilfish and hatchetfish species because of their unusual body shape and movements. The tube-mouthed pencilfish (N. eques) is a favorite of mine because of its nearly vertical swimming posture. Pencilfish are the hummingbirds of the aquarium fish world, IMO.

I usually like to combine the above with a small group of some type of small anabantid (B. imbellis, chocolate gourami) or dwarf cichlid (blue ram, A. borellii). These add a lot of personality, which the aforementioned fish often lack --this is very important for the owner/viewer which sees the layout day in and day out. Nonetheless, these usually play a secondary role to the overall impression.None

So what fish do you like to keep in your planted aquascapes? Small schooling characins? Larger, more active rainbowfish? Personality-packed Apistogrammas?

Carlos

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
There's nothing like the beauty of a large school of smaller fish flowing back and forth in a planted tank. My dining room tank has a large school of Rummies, and I can't think of a better way to come home from work and unwind while watching them flow peacefully in the tank. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I went with Pseudomogil sp (although not actually a Rainbowfish :p).
I just like them, P. Furcatus best, and wouldn't go against them just because they didn't match as well with a certain plant, etc...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I like tetras and dwarf cichlids, but have been interested in rainbowfish. I will probably end up trying some sort of dwarf rainbow sometime.

·
Registered
645 Posts
lIVEBEARERS. i have never had a tank without them. The ultimate utility fish plus some of them can look pretty good in aquscapes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts