Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polygonum sagittatum is native to Missouri, United States. Now, let's see a show of hands of people still thinking native US plants are worthless. :mrgreen:

Photos courtesy of www.aquacharming.com

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm confident that it will Piscesgirl. Many of the plants we keep are marginal plants so they're often exposed to much higher temperatures and harsher weather than those in our tanks. Polygonums are primarily perennials, meaning that they'll die when temperatures drop near freezing, but will reprout from underground root stock when spring rolls around. Even if they are annuals, it's perpetual summer in our tanks so "winter dormancy" is not something we worry too much about. Thank goodness. [smilie=k:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sue. Have you been able to grow this plant submersed? Mine keeps melting. :-(

·
Registered
852 Posts
That stuff is beautiful. I wonder how many natives we have overlooked over the years, or even forgotten about.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is an excellent photo-journal documenting Ghazanfar Ghori and Jay Luto's trip to Florida.

I have never been to a place that is as littered with plants-filled roadside ditches as Florida. It's just crazy! In fact, I found Proserpinaca palustris and Micranthemum umbrosum last summer along the pay-toll-every-five-minutes highway while driving down to Daytona beach. What are some of your favorite natives? I'm sure there are tons of undiscovered plants in other countries as well. Let's all go hunting! :mrgreen:

Proserpinaca palustris

Micranthemum umbrosum - despite its tendency to break free of the substrate, this is an incredibly handsome plant with its large lime green leaves. One of my all time favorites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts