Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years and years all I ever had in my aquariums were ramshorns and MTS then, I bought some plants from someone that must've had pond snail eggs on them because they suddenly showed up in my tank. It took about a year or more but now the ramshorn and MTS have disappeared and pond snails seems to be the only snail I can find. I liked my MTS because they churn up the substrate. Has anyone else noticed this with pond snails?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
No I have not. I have all three in my tanks. I actually have less ponds then the others.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had sudden declines in MTS and ramshorns, but never with a corresponding increase in any other kind. The pond snails actually seem to be the most fragile.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my tanks the pond snails seem to reproduce faster, but I would say the MTS seem to out compete them for resources. (especially in my software tanks where shell-building minerals can be a little hard to come by).

Have you checked your substrate with a flashlight at night? I was wondering what was taking my MTS and needlepoint (at least, I think this is what the white ones are called) snails so long to reproduce...it turned out there were hundreds of them, I was only seeing the stragglers that wanted to hang out during the day.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good idea to check the tank at night - maybe the MTS are still there. I know I haven't seen a ramshorn in a long time. Maybe it has something to do with my water conditions that are just right for the pond snail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts