Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,new to ponds..I started studying ponds recently and before I proceed I would like to know if it's ok to keep ponds in direct sunlight during mid day at hot countries such as Cyprus.It can reach 36C.Thanks a lot..

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
If the pond is going to get sun all day then I would advise against it. Algae will become a real problem, evaporation will be a problem (and expensive). If the pond will get only a few hours of direct light then it probably won't be a problem. Even so, you can plant some fruit trees like almonds right next to the pond to provide shade. The dead leaves will be appreciated by the fish as well.

If the pond is relatively deep 2-3 feet (1 meter) then the water on the bottom should be cool enough for fish to find a comfortable zone to live in.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Zapins,you into ponds too?This is one more thing I'll get hooked on next,I have allready started studying..I have just found out that an old friend of mine is a proffesional pond builder so I guess we will be digging this summer:)where do you live?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I live in southern Arizona where the temperatures get up to 50C (I am not kidding.) and I have to cover my pond with a product called shade cloth...it keeps the temperatures around 10 or 15C cooler. Plus is blocks 100% of the UV rays. it helps out a lot.

So my answer is that it is going to be hard to keep a pond clear so you may see the plants and fish. You should keep a shade over it or have tree cover. But...if you have tree cover you may want to keep a netting over your pond to keep out the majority of the leaves in fall...unless you want them in there. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts