Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Post your local water quality

3814 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  trc_pdx
As the basis of any fertilizer routine, one needs to know what is in the water that is supplied to them. A quick email or phone call to your local water company can get you all the information you need. You may need to ask for a Water Quality Specialist for the detailed info. Also ask about your water source for your address.

San Jose, CA Local water quality (Lawrence expressway and 280)
San Jose Water Quality Report

A quick email to my water company revealed,
Water Source - Summer = 25% Well 75% Import
Water Source - Winter = 60% Well 40% Import
From the report,

example of how I calculated totals,
(25 % X 308)+ (75 % X 104)=155

Spreadsheet to help fill out information,
See less See more
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
JLudwig said:
Also my local water reports usually don't include phosphate or Ca/Mg breakdown, do they need to legally provide this? I'm even willing to send some water away for a water report but I can't seem to find any labs that will do this...?
Jeff, the water report provided by your water company online or sent to you yearly is, more often than not, a very crude piece of document, lacking a lot of information planted tank folks want to know. Find the number for your water company which should be on the utility bill. Call and request for a COMPREHENSIVE water report. They will transfer you to the testing department where someone will take down your address. In 1-2 weeks, you'll get a 3-6-page report detailing all sorts of chemical breakdowns than you'll know what to do with. All the stuff we care about is usually in the first two pages.

Whatever they don't test for, you can request it. I am not sure if they are legally bound to oblige, but if you are anywhere near a big city where taxes are a-plenty :lol: then you'll have a little bit more leverage.

All this is free by the way. :biggrin:
1 - 1 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.