Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone grow this in their tank? I got a few stems as an extra awhile back and burried them horizontally in the substrate. They are finally starting to get a foothold. I'm looking for a bit more info on this one, cant seem to find any. I know that members of Potamogeton are considered weeds in alot of countries, but the leaves on this plant are quite interresting. Anyone know anything about this one?

-joe

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I had some of it last year. It is pretty much a weed, though not as bad a P. gayi. It was grown in a GH of 4 and KH of 7 with pressurized CO2. NO3 and PO4 were usually 10+ and 1+ respectively. I had no problems with this except for the fact that I didn't have room for it and once it starts to get near the surface it grows pretty fast. Too fast for my tastes anyway. I didn't keep it long enough to give any more facts due to its growth rate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Its a lovely translucent plant that pearls beautifully and does not require more than 2 wpg. However, it is difficult to aquascape with because it looks best as long strands rising up off a runner. These runners are difficult to direct and grow out quickly. I think it works best trailing up out of mid or foreground areas and feel it prefers a temp. of about 76f. It does not seem to be a great nutrient competitor and langishes when grown with large stands of more virulent stem plants.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Jeff, are you saying it does not like higher than 76F, or lower than 76F? This one is a recent addition in my tank, I have it at 83F. Not sure if it likes it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
generally species of Potamogeton prefer cool water. Many are found in places like cold mountain ponds, even Iceland:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
hm, that could be a reason it has been a slow adapter in my warm tank over the past two weeks. We will see, most plants eventually take off for me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shalu,

Your warm tank, with rich conditions, and lots of compeating species would not be a tank in which I would expect it to excell. In those conditions I found cut stems languished while runners with roots did much better. Stalled stems often produce a runner. If you cut off the stem and plant the runner it will do much better. Stem stumps of this plant are often very weak. It grows back best from the roots which produce the runners.

This plant does best during my winter/spring season.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the info, Jeff. What you said about weak stem has been true so far. P. gayi is a weed though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts