Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just starting my planted aquarium and i need to get a new filter! my old one is okay but not that good, i want one to keep the tank nice and clean! i have a 30 gallon tank, i was looking at a Whisper 60. in the item description it says Good for aquariums up to 60 gallons. Pumps 330 gph so that should be okay right? what about ultra activated carbon? is that going to effect the c02 in my tank or the plant ferterlizer?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
It is better to use a canister filter in a planted tank if you will be injecting C02. A HOB filter will cause surface agitation and the loss of C02.

If you do use a Whisper filter go with a 30, 150GPH is plenty of flow for a planted tank. Do not use carbon, replace the carbon with filter floss. Using carbon can soak up the nutrients needed by plants. Carbon does not effect C02.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trenac said:
It is better to use a canister filter in a planted tank if you will be injecting C02. A HOB filter will cause surface agitation and the loss of C02.

If you do use a Whisper filter go with a 30, 150GPH is plenty of flow for a planted tank. Do not use carbon, replace the carbon with filter floss. Using carbon can soak up the nutrients needed by plants. Carbon does not effect C02.
What is Filter Floss? never heard of it??

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
It is like pillow stuffing, you can actually use pillow stuffing that is not dyed and is hypoallergenic. At my LFS you can buy it in sheets which makes it easy to cut to fit in a HOB filter.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I have the Whisper 40 on my newest 30 gallon (which is heavily planted) and it does a great job. I just use the plain old bio bags without the carbon and it works very well.
The Whispers do have an adjustable flow, so you could turn it down if you wanted to. I've never had to since I just keep the water level high enough so it doesn't create much surface agitation.

Yes, one bag of filter floss only costs a couple of dollars, and they last forever. One word of caution with using it in a Whisper though - I've heard of other people having trouble with it being a bit too much and having water overflowing out of the filter. :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts