Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had power heads in the past and i really like them. i planed to get 2 for my conversion. im converting a boring 46 gal with lots of large convicts to a plant filled tank with a few med to large fish. i am doing alot of reading about plants and i read 2 different articals that just slightly touched on power heads. 1 said they wouldn't use them because too much circluation is not good for the plants. he was real brief on the reason. the other actully sugested useing the power head to get co2 in the water. i believe he was refering to a diy set up. anyone have powerheads?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I only use a power head for my tank. I don't have a filter so I use the power head for water circulation. I did notice that the plants that got the bulk of the water being "shot" at them didn't grow nearly as fast as the other plants in the tank. They grew healthy, just not as fast. I do think though that my CO2 dissolves better with a power head blowing all the small bubbles around the tank. If anything, I'd get an adjustable one and see what setting works best for your situation.

Scouter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use a power head for my tank. I don't have a filter so I use the power head for water circulation. I did notice that the plants that got the bulk of the water being "shot" at them didn't grow nearly as fast as the other plants in the tank. They grew healthy, just not as fast. I do think though that my CO2 dissolves better with a power head blowing all the small bubbles around the tank. If anything, I'd get an adjustable one and see what setting works best for your situation.

Scouter
I was just reading something that refered to too much circulation can break down nutrients in the water. it didnt say "power heads" but what gives better circulation? it sounds to me that you have sucsess with them. i have a under gravel filter and 1 double HOB filter and 1 small one. i read these HOB type filters don't hurt the plants but they do allow co2 to escape. i'll prob go to a canister filter when i plant my tank. i want to get the best quality of everything that i can even if it exceeds what im trying to do to start. i'm keeping in mind that i'm going to expand and grow and the needs of my tank will surpass the capability of less expencive lower quality equipt. i plan to buy equipt once and spend the money to get what i need now and a year from now when my project has bloomed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Power heads are great tools but they do not solve all of the problems we are faced with and circulation is good, in general, and is not the most important facet of plant growth.

The nutrients that plants need are many and if indeed money is not the over riding factor the addition of light (AH Supply is in my estimation the best available at the moment LEDs are coming but not yet,) Carbon (in the form of a bottle of CO2, regulator and reactor) NPK and other less important but not non-essential nutrients are all part of a planted tank that is based on Hi-tech. Algae is always a factor but there are ways of avoiding this scourge. Read a lot and have patience are the two saving graces to ensure a successful tank.

The advice for each of these "requirements" is readily available on the NET but you have to either read or ask. If you ask questions keep it to one question at a time; the answers can be lengthy; even though the desire is to keep the words down any reasonable explanation can be very lengthy unless it is just an admonition to just do this, that, or the other thing. Always remember that advice can be wrong so in order to separate the good from the bad always wait for affirmation. The really good advice givers are not always on 24/7 so give it some time (a day at least.)

Now for some egregious advice that may help you. Pythons are good tools. Timers are important. Different foods are good and stuff from your fridge are sometimes very good. Water changes can help keep your water quality within acceptable ranges 20 to 30% weekly is about normal but Ammonia spikes and raising fry or keeping certain spacies can require more. Most things are based on smaller "community" fish that are understocked. Large fish or very aggressive (sometimes only during reproductive activity or spawning) critters can have very different and specific care in order to keep everyone healthy and alive.

See what I mean about wordiness? Sorry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are worried that the flow is to much you can
1: Check the flow and get a smaller power head or
2: you could also go to a reverse flow(like 660-r penguin) set up which almost completely removes the water flow. If you go this route you can even mod one of the sponge filters(no need for air) on the input.

I use reverse flow on under gravel set-up because I liked it from many years back.
I even for a time tried using the small hole in the power heads to put co2(coke bottle style) into the aquarium(under the under gravel filter) but I got lazy having to refill the containers ever couple of weeks and quit.

·
Registered
534 Posts
One of the best moves I did 10 years a go was to throw the under gravel filter in the garbage, yes they can work but it is mostly just a stumbling block. I have been playing with the flow in my aquarium and from what I have observed, a good amount of flow is needed for proper nutrient exchange. My tankd does better when the power head is aimed in directly to the plants. I use a canister filter and one power head and the combo seems to work for me. If I had what you have I would use the hanging filter one power head and go from there. I think cliff gave you very good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts