Aquatic Plant Forum banner

PPS Classic and K

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  davejt 
#1 ·
Did the PPS Classic system have a sixth solution of just K at one point?

Looking at the PPS.Analysis spreadsheet there is a column for solution DS with just K in it. Was this solution dropped for some reason as it does not appear in the PPS-Classic Solutions Recipe, or PPS.Dosing Calculator spreadsheets, both seem to have more recent dates on them.

The reason I ask is my tank seems to have enough N and P (nitrogen and phosphate) accumulating from the fish load, and historically (pre PPS) my plants have had pinholes which I am thinking K deficient. Using either the PF or NF solutions quickly drives up values for N or P so I don't really want to add more and increase water changes to keep in check.

How does PPS classic regulate K? It seems just indirectly by adjusting dose of N or P. But if no N or P is needed to reach target levels in the dosing calculator no K will be dosed. i.e. with my fish load N and P test level or increasing each week, so the PPS Dosing calculator gives zero values for SS PF and NF. This leaves K out and as I understand it K isn't a byproduct of fish load.

As a solution I am going to make up the solution DS, and guess at 33g per 500ml for the solution. then dose enough to add 1.33 ppm per day as outlined in the 'K too low/high' faq from the PPS website. Does this make sense, or have a missed a critical step.

Do the creators of the PPS system still visit or update the tools at all?

TIA

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.