Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am sorry for coming late - maybe the party is over but I really want to first of all understand what Tom is suggesting so allow me please -

I have a high light high CO2 tank with all the nutrients and everything. This is at least what I believe... I think NO3 consumption in this tank should be 5 ppms per day. But I also know that if something goes wrong with the traces the consumption rate could be absolutely 0 - nil !! So I have to be preapred to both extremes... So I do my weekly 50% water change and add 5 ppm no3 per day. After all I don't want the no3 to bottom out before the end of the week - right? So I add the full 5 ppm daily. Now if the tank consumption is 0 then by the end of the week I added net 35 ppms. Now if I keep this routine I will have a tank with 35 ppms after water change and 70 ppm before next water change. Is that how I am supposed to grow my plants? And all the time I have no idea that something is wrong over there. And if I test for NO3 and it's high - shouldn't I test PO4 to see maybe this is the reason? And KH?

Moreoever, I have a 190 gal tank - 50% WC takes 2.5 hours.

Aviel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Doesn't work,

Because nitrate uptake is 0 - plants pearl less after the first/second days - so waht do I do yet another 50% WC? :???: Geeez 3 hours instead of 5 minutes testing for NO3?

Aviel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Defdac,

No it won't work - not necessarily that is - po4 is not the only contributor - there could be others - it could be anything. And if po4 is @ 1.5ppm and you thought it's 0 and you add 1.5 ppm? then you have 3 ppm.... And you have 3ppms which are not consumed by the plants because something is stuck so guess who eats it first?

BTW - great tank and great movie you have there! Absolutely amazing - I put that link in the Israeli forum - come to visit www.freshreef.com

Aviel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gnaster,

Yes that would be a good idea...

Daniel,

I said I do 50% water and yes I do add 0.35 ppm kh2po4 daily and my po4 test kits confirms that this is the rate of consumption so it can't be DOP or DON that I measure. Right?

But back to my understanding of Tom's method: no test kits, 50% WC once a week and add those nutrients daily. If so then I have no idea of what my nitrate consumption rate - it could be 0 ppm per day and it could be 5 ppm per day. Since I am afraid of bottom out of nitrate I must add 5 ppm per day. Since there are 7 days a week then I add 35 ppms per week. If the tank consumed 0 nitrate then I will have swings between 35 ppm right after WC and 70 ppm right before next WC.

PO4 is not the only problem - it could also be light, CO2, K, iron, molybdenum, manganse, u-name-it deficiency and maybe too much of something and you can't analyze it - you are not supposed to measure anything. The whole approach is that plenty of nutrients and (plentry of nutrients) X 2 is fine....

That approach could work if you know your consumption rates - if you are absolutely sure that your no3 won't bottom out because there's no reason for it to decrease by more than 1 ppm per day. But us newbies, when something is not pearling - we need to test, and check, and double check - no?

Right?

Aviel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
plantbrain said:
aviel said:
But I also know that if something goes wrong with the traces the consumption rate could be absolutely 0 - nil !! So I have to be preapred to both extremes... So I do my weekly 50% water change and add 5 ppm no3 per day. After all I don't want the no3 to bottom out before the end of the week - right?
No danger of that in your case.
I don't understand - what do you mean no danger - again - if there's a chance that my tank drinks 5 ppm per day and I feed it less then my no3 shall bottom out before week ends.

plantbrain said:
I understand that you explained this thing over and over and this thing has already been discussed. But one more time please: U are given a generic tank - you know nothing about the consumption rate and you are not allowed to test anything. Consumption rate could be 2-3 ppm per day, 4 ppm per day, 5 ppm per day, 1 ppm per day or 0 ppem per day. How much NO3 do you add and when? U will see that in order not to bottom out you will need big no3 numbers- but please show me the rouine that you suggest!!

Aviel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.