Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If I may interject here...

There are many aspects to this hobby we call Planted Aquaria, some like to grow plants and are happy when they grow, some strive for the perfect scape, some just want to make nice home for their bait and some enjoy the techie aspect and all its trappings. There are other reasons I'm sure I've missed. Just as there are many reasons folks get into this hobby there are many ways to achieve similar goals. The essence of this thread has turned into EI vs PPS and I think thats not where it should be headed. Personally I enjoy the regimen of daily dosing, the mixing of semi precise solutions and the testing to back up my observations. For "ME" that is enjoyable, it appeals to the techie in me.

Tom, I gather thats not an aspect you enjoy, thats great, and EI works for you and it works for lots of people.

Miguel, I know you like the testing and the discussions we have had about the relative merits of adjusting doses by ml levels.

No one is forcing anyone to choose EI over PPS, they are alternatives, and not the only ones at that.

I respectfully ask the both of you to stop beating each over the head and neck area with driftwood and lets take this conversation in a new route. How about discussing PPS and how you use it or if you have issues or questions please post them here.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Tom,

In an effort to clear up confusion and misunderstanding would you be so kind as to create a new thread entitled Estimative Index (EI) and detail the process for all. Once created I will happily sticky it in the Fert Forum. I think this will help people to see another of the various methodologies available.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
This thread has certainly taken a turn that was not intended.

Let me state again, it is for the use of those using or having questions about the PPS methodology, it is not nor intended to be a yet another discussion by Tom on why the EI method is according to Mr Barr the only way.

Let me please reiterate.

Some people DO ENJOY the testing and other technical pursuits this hobby can offer.

This is more then one to skin a cat. Yet if we were to all blindly follow and not ask questions of one poster in this thread we would all have to take on faith that there is only one true way.

Now others do not have to suffer this same faith.
I believe you mean fate and not faith.

Why must you assume that any other way but the ways that you espouse here Tom are causing others suffering?

I can assure you that I am not suffering when I test my water, make stock solutions, spend more then 5 min on a water change or work with others that also find some or all these activities enjoyable.

I have no idea what you and others are doing with the water changes, but dues, figure out a simpler water change routine!
I find something therapeutic about doing water changes. Not all of us are looking for ways to take what some feel is a less desirable endeavor and automate or speed up the process.

I could go in for a long time countering many of the things Tom is trying to protect me from, but many of things other people find enjoyable.

Tom, please try and see there are other views and they work.

Others, please see that Tom is only trying to pass on, albeit with a great deal of passion, some of the things he has learned over the years.

We all have differing reasons for entering the hobby and differing ideas on how to maximize our enjoyment, There is no one "right" way. Just many paths that lead to the same point. That point being our own enjoyment.

Thanks for listening,

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
One can also edit the uS text to ppm. As Edward says, it's not used in calculations but as an aid to measure trends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.