Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
If one was to have some extra money burning a hole in my pocket, and doesn't have nor need a RO/DI system due to locally soft water, what good , average price TDS meter would you recommend?

Also now that your Discus tank is how you like it, and PPS is making your plants grow well, how often are you doing your "minimized" water changes Ed?

Ever figure out how to accurately measure pH in your 0 kH tetra tank at pH 5?

FYI;
I found I change 35 gal of water with a pipe out the window into my garden and a phyton to refill from kitchen sink with 82F water in about 20 minutes. That's while watching TV and working only during commercials. I stopped using the phyton as a gravel vac sink my water bill is around $100 (up 50%) per month and I am getting cheap. Rather spend money on new plecos and rare cories. I started gravel vacing with my Vortex D1 with the soda bottle attachment, so I vac and polish at same time.

I have seen the auto-water changer at fellow SFBAAPS member's house and it is not only really easy to setup and slick to do, but fairly cheap. Looks like maybe $100 in parts and tubing and about half a day of work including trip to store. Ah, if only I didn't rent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
TDS meter?

So the HM digital TDS meter from Air, water and Ice Co. reads in ppm . THe PPS worksheet expects micro Siemens. Is there a handy conversion? Come to think of it, is the TDS used at all in the worksheet's other calcs or in fine tuning the method? Seems to be just nice to know, but not used.

Did I miss something? Just montoring your resins from RO/DI to predict changeout. Maybe watching the overall TDS of aquarium to make sure it doesn't get too high and in need of a water change?

My tap is 124 ppm and my tank is 447 ppm.

Maybe this relates to Edward's unrelated quest to breed tetra by keeping water soft?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.