Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi Tom
How can one respond to the 30 pages of your Estimative Index Chronicle? You have posted faster then people could read. I am sure we got the point, the patented trademark water change you repeated 104 times in this thread alone.

plantbrain said:
1.I asked what is the primary goal of PPS?
There is several.
First is to limit the ™Water Changes. Believe it or not, there are people who do not enjoy it. So many people all over the world told you so.
Second is time. No one can change water as fast as you can and you can not test as fast as many people can.
Third is a comprehensive fertilizing system. The PPS takes care of NO3, PO4, K, Mg, Ca, TE, and CO2. Nothing is forgotten. The PPS does work with any water and any substrate. A system that is appropriate for aquariums from 0.5 liter to ZOO size mega tanks. This can not be said about the EI. The EI lack essential plant nutrients. Potassium is there only thanks to KNO3 overdose. Magnesium is absent, relying on accidental tap supply. The next is Calcium, another reason people in some areas could not be satisfied with the incomplete fertilizer.

plantbrain said:
2. How is it different than say what folks often do when they get lazy and don't do their water changes?
That depends on the outcome.

plantbrain said:
3. What is new that's been brought to to table here?
Please see Q1, Third goal

plantbrain said:
4. How is this better/different than a non CO2 tank or an excel dosed tank?
Confidence that nothing becomes deficient.

plantbrain said:
5. Is testing water quality why folks get into this hobby? Or is it to grow plants?
Is water changes why folks get into this hobby? Or is it to grow plants? Also, I have seen people testing more often with EI then they would have to with the PPS.

plantbrain said:
6. What about mulm accumulation and detritus?
Vacuuming and filtration is not prohibited.

plantbrain said:
7. Wouldn't watching the plants be better than test kits for things like NO3, algae for PO4, some plants for traces?
Not many have the crystal ball.

plantbrain said:
8. Are water changes really tough?
Why change it if it's not broken.

plantbrain said:
9 Can this be done with Discus? Heavy feedings? Why? Why not?
You don't want me to look for your own post about someone running a discus tank without water changes for 2 years. There are people running successfully the PPS with discus under MH. Certainly, there are limits how much waste can plants consume, laws of balance.

plantbrain said:
10. Light levels?
We run the PPS from 1 to 6 Wpg.

plantbrain said:
Folks did this for years with limited success.
Maybe you need to read the articles to understand the regulation principles.

plantbrain said:
Doesn't matter what method you chose. Each has trade offs.
duh…

Requires daily dosing? Yes it does, just like EI does and commercial products do.
I can ensure you there is no reason to do testing more often then once a week or less. This weekly testing is only for the start. Once the system is running, testing once after 4 weeks is adequate.

Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Jeff Kropp said:
correction* the classic Estimative Index doses once after each weekly water change.

Some people have also added a midweek booster dose and this variation has evolved into the odd-even hybrid for others. These daily dosers are not practicing Estimative Index procedures; even tho they may be following EI ppm guidelines.
Hi Jeff
I am not sure if I understand. If daily dosers are not practicing Estimative Index procedures then what is this?

Tom Barr said:
The Estimative Index of Dosing

Dosing
1/4 teaspoon 4x a week (every other day)
1/16" teaspoon of KH2PO4 4x a week (every other day)
Traces added on off days as the macro nutrients, so 3x a week, 5mls each time.

So the aquarist dose only 3 things really, KNO3, KH2PO4 on the day of the water change then every other day there after, traces of the off day till the next week rolls around.
Copyright 2004: Tom Barr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.