Aquatic Plant Forum banner

PPS Pro dosing cloudy water

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sc204 
#1 ·
I have a large tank that I had pretty much been ignoring regarding the plants in it for a while. No ferts, or CO2, medium lighting. Minimal water changes and a lot of BG algae had developed. Just before Thanksgiving I cleaned it up getting rid of as much BG algae as I could, changed 90% of the water, removed all of the adult angels (I had a new batch of small blues and platinums ready). Mostly some crypts had survived my minimal maintainence and few anubias sort of in dormancy :)

I added a bunch of plants that I had growing in a 125 full of guppies, no additional ferts and low lighting. A couple differnt types of crypts, anubias, vals I think, and a big amazon sword. These plants have done fairly well without any special care.

Much of the transplanted crypts melted in a few days. The original ones survived, and some of the blue green algae reestablished itself. I added a few more plants that I purchased and started dosing with PPS pro yesterday. I had been adding Flourish excel on the higher side of dosing to try to get rid of the blue green algae for 5 days or so I have not restarted the CO2 yet

This morning after the first day of adding ferts the tank had a slight cloud or fog to it, especially noticable if looking towards the lights, LED and MH. The fertilizer chemicals were about 2 years old but kept sealed and dry including the CSM+B and were mixed in RO water yesterday.

Testing the water with Lamotte kits prior to dosing showed
N02 0
NO3 0
NH3 0
Phosphate .3
Tot alk 70 ppm
TDS 245 (Hanna meter)
pH 7.3 Mil. pH meter

Lights LED for 12 hrs MH for the middle 8 hrs.

Any thoughts on the cloudiness (mild but obvious) or on how to get rid of the blue green algae?

Thanks,
Stuart

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.