Aquatic Plant Forum banner

PPS Pro Query

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  T Money $$ 
#1 ·
Possible dumb question here, but I want to be sure. I'm finally running out of my seachem ferts and want to switch to PPS pro. My question is regarding the mgso4 in the solution, Is it ok to use regular epsom salts from the local pharmacy? On a different site it said to dose using twice the amount if using epsom. I was hoping someone could set me straight before I order my dry chems to mix this up. Thank You.

#2 ·
If you do a quick search of the forums you will find lots of examples of where others have asked this exact same question. For instance, look at this thread:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/40361-mg-pps-pro.html

You will see that the answer to your question is that PPS pro was calculated using Epsom Salt that you can buy very easily from a pharmacy.

However, I am of the opinion that you first of all need to determine if you even need the extra Magnesium in your particular aquarium. I figured out the hard way that my tap water (which is from a well) already has plenty of Mg, and after dosing PPS pro for a long time I have managed to get my ratio of Ca to Mg way off. After doing lots of research, I determined that typically the ratio should be around 3:1 to 4:1 Ca to Mg. Mine is now almost 1:1, so I've started backing off on the Epsom Salt, and I imagine that eventually I won't be using it at all. You will have to test the water for GH, or total hardness, and also test for Ca. The Ca and Mg added together equals your total hardness. I am using a LaMotte Total Hardness/Calcium Hardness test kit to determine my levels.

Hope this info helps.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.