Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Testing Calcium?

Edward,

Using the Hagen test kit to test for Ca:

To measure the Ca in 10mL worth of H2O do you double the drops of reagents 1 and 2 going into the 10 mL of water or keep it at 7drops reagent 1 and 3 drops of reagent 2?

Thanks,

Ken T.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Question about dosing amounts

Edward (and others),
Kudos to you and the other folks who have worked on the PPS method. I am new to aquatic plants but have decided to try out your method after reviewing several. My question focuses on the dosing amounts involved in your method. I ordered dry ferts from www.gregwatson.com and mixed them to the specs that you provide in your article. I used volumetric measures calculated by using Chuck Gadd's calculator, but otherwise I followed your instructions to the letter (as far as I know). How much do you think that I should be dosing for a 90 gallon tank (2.44 wpg, pressurized CO2) that has been set up about 2 months? It seems like I have been dosing the heck out of the tank and not seen a great deal of results. It seems very difficult to get much movement in nitrate, especially. I am dosing over 20ml of the phosphate-free solution in a day sometimes and I don't think that I have ever seen nitrate go as high as 10ppm. I am also feeding the heck out of my fish (low-moderate load). Do you think there may be something wrong with my nitrate test kit (recently bought Aquarium Pharmaceuticals - it has a fish wearing a lab coat on the front of it - what more could you want?) My phosphate is running right at 1ppm (Hagen phosphate test kit) and, as I said, I am only dosing the phosphate-free mixture. Plant growth has been moderate, but the tank and I are new at this and I have little to gauge it against. I think that I may be missing something here, so if you can help me, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks so much,

TB
P.S. Edward, you are a great proponent of your methods. The fact that you were quiet rather than resorting to personal attacks and brow-beating to get your point across speaks volumes to me. Well done.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Let me say that I agree with tortoiseboy in regards to edwards way of conveying his point. I have a quick question about the methodology. I am about to try this method but I have made up the SS with just KNO3 and KH2PO4....i dont have any K2SO4. What is my SS going to lack because of this omitted ingrediant? I have Flourish K and was think of using that to fill in the blanks. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I am looking forward to getting started with this method. Thanks!!!
jB

·
Registered
150 Posts
It seems like I have been dosing the heck out of the tank and not seen a great deal of results. It seems very difficult to get much movement in nitrate, especially. I am dosing over 20ml of the phosphate-free solution in a day sometimes and I don't think that I have ever seen nitrate go as high as 10ppm.
I would calibrate/test your kits. http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/01.01.Test.NO3.PO4.pdf

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jeff Kropp said:
How do you explain your accrual of a 25/1 N/P ratio while dosing a 3/1 ratio solution?
Edward said:
Dosing once NO3:pO4 10:1 gives approximately 10:1 ratio in the tank on the end of the 10th day. But, dosing 10 days 1:0.1 gives usually 5:0 ratio after 10 days.
Since I do WCs every week (tank doesnt get to 10 day mark), should I adjust this ratio? It seems like PO4 isn't being consumed by the plants as fast as NO3.

Also, has anyone experimented with a ratio of DS to, perhaps, SS? I have a high bio-load and i've been adding 1mlDS:4mlSS. Since there is not a (affordable) test for K+, i don't know if i'm on the right track.
Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi TortoiseBoy

TortoiseBoy said:
How much do you think that I should be dosing for a 90 gallon tank (2.44 wpg, pressurized CO2) that has been set up about 2 months? It seems like I have been dosing the heck out of the tank and not seen a great deal of results. It seems very difficult to get much movement in nitrate, especially. I am dosing over 20ml of the phosphate-free solution in a day sometimes and I don't think that I have ever seen nitrate go as high as 10ppm.
90 gallons equates to approximately 340 litres accordingly I believe adding 20ml of PF solution is only adding approximately 1.3 ppm of NO3 to your tank. If you find after a week that 20ml is not increasing it then you should try perhaps 30ml the following week and 40ml the next until you are getting the reading of NO3 that you desire in your tank.

TortoiseBoy said:
Do you think there may be something wrong with my nitrate test kit
The articles under the following link explain how to calibrate your test kits using the solutions.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=4241
in particular How to test for Nitrates and Phosphates

Your dosing regimen must be fine tuned by trial until you find your tanks sweet spot. as I said above start increasing to 30ml for a week and see what tests yield. if too low increase some more for a week. if too high decrease a bit for one week and so on until you get the appropriate reading.

I also recommend reading all the articles in the link provided it gives a great overview of the system in total which may help with some of your concerns.

Good luck and ask more questions

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Jason

Jason Baliban said:
I am about to try this method but I have made up the SS with just KNO3 and KH2PO4....i dont have any K2SO4. What is my SS going to lack because of this omitted ingrediant? I have Flourish K and was think of using that to fill in the blanks.
Firstly I think we all agree with TortoiseBoy with respect to the way Edward conveyed his point.

Secondly your SS is going to be missing K ( but you knew that already :) )

Thirdly you would have to determine exactly what is in Flourish K so that you are not throwing off your dosing. Once you know exactly what is in Flourish K then you could adjust your dosing accordingly. I have heard (totally uninvestigated by me) that flourish contains small amounts of K. Thats why i say it is important to know. Once you know then you could dose Flourish K accordingly and keep the SS free as is.

Check out this thread with respect to Flourish K
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/showthread.php?t=5220

Good luck and ask more questions
Discus

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
skids said:
So the HM digital TDS meter from Air, water and Ice Co. reads in ppm . THe PPS worksheet expects micro Siemens. Is there a handy conversion? Come to think of it, is the TDS used at all in the worksheet's other calcs or in fine tuning the method? Seems to be just nice to know, but not used.

Did I miss something? Just montoring your resins from RO/DI to predict changeout. Maybe watching the overall TDS of aquarium to make sure it doesn't get too high and in need of a water change?

My tap is 124 ppm and my tank is 447 ppm.

Maybe this relates to Edward's unrelated quest to breed tetra by keeping water soft?
Hi
There are two ways to measure TDS. The Siemens and [ppm] as NaCl equivalent. Both test equipments are identical except the calibration part. The two can be converted as follows

uS = 2 x ppm
ppm = uS / 2

In the PPS xls sheet, the TDS column is not used for any calculations. It is there only as an indicator of water column contamination. For example, your tap is 124 ppm and your tank is 447 ppm. There is almost 4 times more dissolved elements in your tank then in your tap. I see it as a high contamination. Something is not right, it needs to be corrected.
The TDS can go little higher then the tap, but then it should get stabilized. If not, then you are either over fertilizing or your substrate is leaking.

Edward

·
Registered
40 Posts
high TDS

I am not currently using PPS, just enjoy the worksheet and am seeing where my tank would be on your targets, I may try it later. I have a Ca kit on order, here are my current values from Hagen kit values:
446 6.8 8 3.0 5.4 4.7 unk 0.3 unk 24 22
TDS pH NO3 PO4 GH KH Ca NO2 Ca2 Mg2 CO2

Note: I don't believe the PO4 value, I have always had an interference with something in my substrate, probably egg shells from worm castings used to enrichen the turface mvp I used. Mg is calculated by your worksheet not a test. NO3, GH and Kh values are from LaMotte kit.

This is a 75g discus tank, water change 50% weekly but I was skiing last week so 2 weeks since last change (maybe contributes to high TDS)

I dose 10ml TMG, 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/8 tsp K2SO4 and 0.5 ml Fleet every 2 days. At water change I add 1tbs Seachem Equilibrium, 5 ml Kent Freshwater Essentials, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp Epsom salt, 1/4 tsp KNO3 and K2SO4 and 1 ml Fleet , 10ml TMG.

I have a high fish and about 50% plant load (of what I could) . I get okay growth of plants but certainly not winning any awards. I slacked a few months back and things are on the mend to rebuild plant mass. Pressurized CO2 and 2 wpg.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Hey guys,
I am starting to use this method. I stated before that I am not using k2so4, but substituting flourish K. Not for any reason other then i dont have k2so4 right now. My question is in the trace area. I am using flourish for trace. Has anyone used this? How does this fit into the equation. I have a 46 gallon tank with just over 3wpg. I am currently dosing 7ml of SS and 1ml of flourish a day. I have just started so I cannot comment on results. Also iron, I have fourish iron. Is anyone dosing extra iron.....and if so how much. Thanks guys. I am loooking forward to sharing my results as they surface.
jB

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi TortoiseBoy
Using spoons to measure dry chemicals is very inaccurate. Please see Tbs / tsp / Dash / Pinch / Smidgen / gram conversion in FAQ. Simple cheap digital post scales are available at Staples and elsewhere.
For 90 gall aquarium at 2.44 Wpg I would start dosing daily 4ml SS, 10ml PF, 22dr Mg and 22dr TE. Test your water parameters after one week and post your results.
Testing your test kits is highly recommended. You need to do this only one time to see how the kit product works. Additionally, test your tap parameters so we can see what is short and what is in excess.

Thank you for your kind words
Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi SAWALLACE
Doing WC changes nothing in regards to the daily dosing. If you can post your aquarium size and light amount I can give you detailed dosing volumes to start with.

Thank you
Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi skids
There should be zero NO2 in your aquarium. Test your tap and if zero then check your aquarium. Something is wrong.
Your Mg level is incorrect without adding Ca level in the calculation. GH – Ca = Mg , therefore you don’t know your Mg level until you get your Ca level.
Turface is dissolving and changing the water parameters. You can put some in a glass and test TDS increase in few days.

Edward

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi Jason
Your situation with substituting the K is going to be extremely difficult. The K is locked into the solutions in certain ratio. It would be better to get the K2SO4 first and then experiment.
People use Flourish with great success, it does contain complete balanced trace element mix.
For 46 gall aquarium at 3Wpg I would start dosing daily 3ml SS, 6ml PF, 12dr Mg and 12dr TE. Test after one week and post your results.

Thank you
Edward

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have also started the pps system. I have a high light 75 gal. tank with co2 and controller. What would you recommed Edward to get me started ? I have read the above dont understand why you recommeded the pf i thought this was used when po4 is high. The plant load in my tank is high with a low fish load. I can post more stats if you like.

Thanks Brian

21 - 40 of 100 Posts