Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is very last minute as my shrimp order is comming to my place this upcomming monday but i need some advice quickly if possible. I have a Whisper 5-15 HOB filter in my 10g fish tank along with 4 ghost shrimp. Recently one of my ghost shrimp was berried and after 21 days her eggs "hatched". BUT i have not seen any offspring. So now i'm paranoid, and i'm wondering if my current prefilter is inadiquate. All advice is great but know i dont have the best LFS's near me. There is 1 Petco, 1 Petsmart, and a LFS that is much better but still limited.

My question is, for my current prefilter i use "Marineland Rite-Size bonded filter pads" I cut them to size to wrap around the filter intake stranner, and then i use a rubber band to tie it on. Anyways, is this too porus? The reason i ask this is because i havent seen the offspring. I mean it could be possible i have the kind of ghost shrimp that needs brakish water, but i need to be sure that's the factor and not my prefilter. Will this work for me? I'm getting an expensive shipment of yellow and tiger shrimp this week and cant have the offspring get chopped up.

Any and all advice is great!

Muirner

·
Registered
30 Posts
My guess it would be that the shrimp need brackish water for development (assuming this is a shrimp only tank), I would be very surprised if any fry could get through your filter pad...

I have had ghost shrimp (feeders from LFS) berry often but no fry.

James

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a plus i'm hoping everyone agrees too.

Followup question, anyone using a pre-filter pad how big are the pores in the pad?

And will ghost shrimp be ok with yellow and tiger shrimp or should i look into taking these to the LFS?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any more advice? Someone has to be using prefilters other then me... Oh wait we all should be due to our shrimp.

Even saying "that works" is fine, i just need to make sure i'll be ok. My new shrimp shipped today! I'll have pics on monday!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts