Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about pre-mixing all my dry fertilizers with water. I'll do each in separate containers. Will this work and how long will they last mixed? Should I keep them in the fridge?

Today I bought KNO3, K2SO4, MGSO4, and KH2PO4.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Capt. said:
I'm thinking about pre-mixing all my dry fertilizers with water. I'll do each in separate containers. Will this work and how long will they last mixed? Should I keep them in the fridge?

Today I bought KNO3, K2SO4, MGSO4, and KH2PO4.
Do you really need to pre-mix them? 1/4 tsp is just as easy as "12ml". If you feel you must do this, only mix with RO/DI (or distilled) water, add a few drops of HCl to each bottle to keep bacteria out.

Its really easier to do them dry, PO4 is the only one I mix since I need small levels...

Jeff

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what do you recommend instead of pre-mixing? Just add the scoops of chemicals straight into the tank? I'm afraid my fish will eat them if I do this.

I've only dealt with liquid fertilizers, nothing dry. That's why I was thinking I should mix them into liquids.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Capt. said:
I've only dealt with liquid fertilizers, nothing dry. That's why I was thinking I should mix them into liquids.
I keep a paper cup under the tank, scoop some tankwater in, add the dry ferts, mix with another cup, then dump in tank real fast, keeping all ferts separate.

Jeff

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Fish don't eat ferts, plants do:)
They learn rather fast and does no harm.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts