Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went fishing and brought back beautiful pieces of drifwood that I would like to use in my new aquascape. My question is: What should I do to sterelise those drifwoods before put them in my tank? I was thinking to put them in a bucket full of boiling water for a while. It's enought or the use of peroxide will be more effective?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Definitely boil it if it fits into a big pot. You should boil it for at least 2 hours to make sure you get rid of any hitchhikers. Also I would change the water half way through and this will also get rid of any tanins that might stain your water and decrease your pH.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will boil them more than less. But, it is surprising how those driftwood are clean. The action of the waves and almost 6 months of winter does a great job:p

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bert, muchas gracias for filling in my lack of info!!:)

lartist, what did you catch (other than the driftwood)? LOL I am also a fisherman down here in sunny Miami, FL. :fish2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oufff! more mosquitos bites than fishes... I would like to tell the name of the fishes we caught but I don't know it in english:noidea: In french, we call it "perchaude".

·
Registered
584 Posts
Probably perch. It's a little yellow fish with black bars and some red on it right? See how good my french translation is. :heh:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I put my driftwood thru the dishwasher without soap and then just rinse it good and have had no problems. I also just let it air dry after the hot wash and rinse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts