Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my pressurized setup on friday. Woo Hoo:) It consists of a 5lb tank(reconditioned fire extinguisher) a beverage dual guage regulator, needle valve adn all the fittings needed to make the needle valve work. On friday, at setup, the tank read 900psi. I set the output to about 5 psi and needle valve so it releases 1 bubble every ~2 seconds. MY levels are good and everything is consistant but its only tuesday afternoon and already the tank reads 750psi. Is this correct. I tried testing for leakes wiht soapy water but found none. Could this be right? At this rate I do not see how 5 lbs could last 8 months on a 55 gal tank.

Any ideas :?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, everything checked and rechecked. I just did it again. Every fitting from the main valve on the tank itself, all the connections for guages, releaf valve, veedle valve, including hte valve itself. No leakes. I am very confused :?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could it be that it was filled with 900 psi of gas, no liquid. WOuld the gas itself compress that much with out being in liquid form. Also, I attached hte regulator upside down so that the tubing would come from the top and not kink. I don't see how this would hurt any thing. It seems there must be a leak but none show up wiht the soapy water test. :?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I go tit from a fire extenguisher company. I assume they would fill it corrctly but I don't know. I bought it as a beverage tank and they knew it was for a fish tank.

turbo, not a dumb question really, but I wish it was that simple. I know it read 900psi at the start and i have gradually watched it drop to about 750 psi in the course of 4 days. The temps here were in the 70s when I got it and we have since had a bit of a cold snap so my room this evening was probably in the low to mid 60's I can't imagine that would play that big of a roll.

I am not home right now but will try the shake test when I do :wink: I have been considering dunking it in something Gomer. This is driving me nuts now. Maybe I could fill up a trashcan tomorrow :idea: From Steve's experiences I wonder if this is that abnormal, but logic tells me that something is amiss. I don't think you should be having htese problems either Steve. Here is my though, I technically have a fire extinguisher. There is no way they would sell me something that would not hold a charge. They would soon be out of buisness with a huge lawsuit.

Anyway, thanks all for hte comments and suggestions. I keep messing wiht it. I always thought that the liqiud form of CO2 would remain at a constant pressure until the liquid was exhausted. This is obviously not happening wiht me, what ever the reason is. I think I will call the extinguisher place tomorrow. There could really only be to problems here, seems to me. Either there is a lieak that I can't find(unlikely at this ppoint) or the tank was not filled wiht much liquid to begin with :?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That does help everyone:)

Thanks gpodio. I did not realize it was only the propelent. After I started this post I have been watching it closely. I tried the shake and I have no idea if it feels full or empty. Since my first post, when I said the psi was 750, it has climbed back to 800(eather is warmer too) and stayed there. 3 days now and pressure has not changed. Maybe I was being a bit hasty. I will still call them when I can just to know for sure, and I will continue ot watch it closely. If I do find out anything, I'll post it here.

Thanks again to all:)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, figured I'd post a litle update. Maybe this info will help others not get all excited :oops:

The pressure actually has stabelized at around 850psi. This has not changed since my last posting actually, so about a week. I guess I was a littel pre mature. I never weighed the tank of even called the fire people but I assume if is not still droping then I must have "reached" the liquid CO2.

Thanks for the help everyone:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts