Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
When I have filled my 20# tank it is covered with ice when I put it in the truck It is often about 700 psi on my gauge later in the house. Within a day or two it settles down to about 575 psi, and very gradually goes down to zero. I don't think you should rely on a literal psi value. It depends on the gauge.

I think someone should be able to give more advice on the pressures to expect throughout the life of the CO2 charge.

I use about 20# of CO2 in 6 months for my 75 and 125 gallon tanks combined. So your 5# tank should last roughly the same 6 months.

I once had a CO2 tank recharge last one week. I found the leak at a nipple and vinyl hose. I now wrap all the connections with two wraps of wire and twist them tight with pliers. I assume you are checking for leaks with warm water and soap to make bubbles.

You can easily check the charge by shaking the bottle. You will feel the liquid CO2 swish. My gauge has a red "recharge" area below 400 psi. I think in theory the CO2 is all gas by then.

Dennis, congrats on the bottled CO2 equipment, and good luck.

Also, I always thought CO2 was added to a tank based on weight of the liquid CO2, not pressure. During a recharge it may be harder to weigh 5# of CO2 than it is to weigh 20#.

Steve

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dennis,

I probably wouldn't worry too much.

Shake it.

I do think the pressure is extremely related to temp.

Use it and enjoy it.

They gave me a new tank and free refill when I took my "leaker" back. It doesn't matter to them, they check and repair every tank that comes back to them, so exchanges are common. As it turns out the tank was fine, as it was a leak in my part of the system. The last tank I exchanged because it had a protective collar around the valve and I always had trouble connecting the regulator to the valve. When I got the replacement tank home the valve would not open. They said they would replace the valve and put it back in service, but they gave me another tank. For big clients they work on exchanges anyway.

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts