Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Warning...stupid question alert. Did you get the tank filled/topped off? Even if you have a small leak, that couldn't account for 5 lbs in a couple days. You should be at 900 psi until you are almost out of CO2. Then, at the end, it will drop rapidly as there is no more liquid to expand into gas.

My first thought was it was barely filled and starting to use it was the final straw. My second thought was is it in a stable temperature room or is there a significant decrease from previous checks of the gauge?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Actually, the CO2 is not necessarily just a propellant. It depends on the type of extinguisher. A true CO2 extinguisher (Probably the tank in question), uses CO2 to displace O2 and cool the fuel. The types of extinguishers that use the CO2 as a propellant are considered chemical extinguishers. CO2 is only good for electrical and wood based fires while the chemical ones are good for oil based fires as well (But can be corrosive to electrical equipment - we hated when people would use PKP, a chemical extinguisher, on eletrical equipment on my ship when I was in the Navy).

As for your tank, with such fluctuating pressures....there should be a tare weight stamped on the neck of the bottle. Weigh it and check if it is noticeably above the tare weight. If there is no tare weight listed, ask the place you got it what the typical weight empty is. They shouldn't have to work hard to figure it out.

HTH.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts