Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I won't jump to conclusions yet, but I still have my eye out for the Ehiem 2213 Classic. If to the point where I have some financial problems, I will be heading towards a H.O.B filter, Aqua Clear 200.

What do you guys think? Or for the alternative, what other filter do you reconmend around the price range of a AC 200?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If it were me, I'd get to the bottom of my financial problems before I'd jump into a planted aquarium.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The canister is the way to go for planted tanks with co2, IMHO,but for HOB filters, I dont think you can beat the aquaclears. I use two sets of foam filters from AC on top of each other inside mine. I also use a foam pre-filter on the intake inside the tank, (a little ugly but effective)and a homecut piece of pond filter-the blue and white stuff, on the top of the two foam filters inside the box. Wash the pre filter inside the tank weekly and it cuts down on disturbing the other foams to let the bacteria colonize. If you use the last piece of pond foam, watch that it does not backup and spill over the top of filter.I sometimes turn the volume of water down a little. I also use a sandwich bag placed around the foam inside the tank when I remove it to keep the dirt from falling right back into the tank. This is a setup I use on my low light, excel carbon based apisto tank. It works good for me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John P. said:
If it were me, I'd get to the bottom of my financial problems before I'd jump into a planted aquarium.
Well, it's not that really important. Before I was thinking about getting the canister filter, I had transferred my funds to my bank account and I was going to use paypal to purchase my canister filter. So at the moment I am selling my old stuff that I have no use for and see if I can get up to how much I need for that canister filter, I am also trying to sell the tetra whisper 60 so that'll help.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Buy the Eheim. It will last you for 10+ years (by all accounts not personal experience) they are dependable adn the resale value would be much higher for a used Eheim compared to a used AC. Also, from personal experience, while the Aquaclears are good filter they have the drawback or sitting very high on your tank, meaning that it can be hard to minimize surface aggitation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts