Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the photog experts on the site.

I printed out some pics that look good on the computer screen, but when I print them with a good quality photo printer I noticed some of the greens get blurred together. For example the riccia looks like one solid mass of green. My guess is there isn't enough light for the printer to pick up the sutle differences or is there a way to do this to maximize the printing of the photos to show more detail. Thanks in advance for sharing any expertise.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What dpi did you print at? And what size print?
I was printing at 600 x 600. I think max on printer (HP Deskjet 6980) is 1200 x 1200. I was only printing 3.5" x 5". One pic was 7.2mp (2592 x 1944) and together was 1.5mp (2592 x 1944) after being reduced in imaging editoring software.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I just printed some other photos that were taken outside on vacation and they printed fine. So I think I'm back to thinking that it's light-related. Draginduster thanks for the calibrate info, I'm not so concerned about the color at this point just that the photos aren't detailed and sharp. It seems like the forebground plants are smudges.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Guess I should ask what camera you are using? do you have any EXIF data on the photo in question? there is a huge difference from a high contrast, low light shot such as an aquarium to a high light, milti object shot such as most outdoor shots. It really depends on the camera as to how this is handled.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess I should ask what camera you are using? do you have any EXIF data on the photo in question? there is a huge difference from a high contrast, low light shot such as an aquarium to a high light, milti object shot such as most outdoor shots. It really depends on the camera as to how this is handled.
I'm using a Canon Rebel XSI (450D). Most of the aquarium shots are taken with regular aquarium lighting so I'm pretty sure that is the shortcoming as you pointed out with the constrast. I guess the printer can't pick up the differences. I'm using a high ISO (800) and shutter speed of around 80 to compensate.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might see a little noise with the ISO of 800 but I am leaning toward a printer issue. What printer do you have?
The printer is an HP Deskjet 6980, but as I said some outdoor pics printed fine, so isn't that a light issue. I took these pics with the regular aquarium lights, nothing additional.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Send it to some one(on here who uses thier printer for photos) to print out for you. That will determine if it is a printer problem or another problem. It save you time and trouble that way and you know for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts