Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some people grow low light plats in very low light set ups with no problem, I am having a problem with my Java ferns I have standards t8 25 8000k single light on a 55 Gl tank. The plants started to turn light yellowish to brown and like melt, Were doing ok for the first 3 days.
Attached to driftwood.
Is this a case of not enough lighting, i was also in the middle of greenish water fight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you can tell I am new to keeping plants, no no fertilizer, no additives for plants at all. Just java fern and moss, anunius.
I thought there are planty of nutrients in the water, this is a living fish environment.
So what do I need to do?
by the way, I am adding a UV sterilizer to deal with my greenish water.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Couple of things:

Sometimes, plants just do that when they move to a new environment. You might want to wait it out a bit.

Plants need macros (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassum or NPK) and micros (trace elements including iron, boron, manganese, etc). You need to supply them from somewhere with a combination of fish waste, overfeeding, and fertilizer dosing.

Light is the overall determiner of how fast these micros and macros are used. Low light = low nutrient demands = slow growth. Initial testing is important as it determines at what rate your tank is going through nutrients. Once you get a feel for growth, testing is not as important.

You might want to try slowly dosing some kind of liquid fertilizer. Pfertz or Seachem or whatever.

Charlie

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charlie,
Some people I see use excel, is that something I should consider?
What dose should I start with, what will the effects on the water conditions be, my fish are doing great at this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.