Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a issue with my Rex regulator. I refilled my 5 lb tank a few weeks ago. I was very surprised when it ran out two weeks later, only feeding a 55gal tank. The first canister lasted a couple months. On closer inspection I found that the perma-seal and fiber washer appear to be stuck in the regulator nut:(. The nut is now very hard to turn and is stuck at the base of the regulators neck. Is there special way to get the perma-seal and the fiber washer out without destroying them?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I didn't use Perma-seal...The hardware store sells teflon tape (yellow) for gas and a liquid equivalent that you just paint on the threads... I used the liquid tube version... I'm sorry that really doesn't help you, to know that I did something different. I just was curious to find out if I should have used Perma-seal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kay here is a pic. I was thinking that using both might of been my problem. I've got a refill already. Yet I can't get the perma-seal or fiber washer out of the regulator nut. I mean I probably can if I yank them out with a pliers. But I will probably ruin them doing this:(. They are really stuck in there. I know I'm not very strong [smilie=l:. But just using my hands I can't get the regulator nut to turn at all.

Looking at the pic I think I may of already destroyed the perma-seal, when I took the canister off. You can see the fiber washer in the center and the black ring around the edge was the perma-seal.
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/Mikaila31/Image017.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kay I tried the rubber mallet and it didn't work. Wacked it pretty hard too and it didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions:(?

I may take it to the local welding supply store tomorrow and see if they can help. If I don't get any suggestions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a way to get the stem off? So I can pound on it as hard as I can without worrying about hurting the rest of the regulator.

If that fails I will replace the stem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would a dremel work? If I use a tip softer than the brass and then basically gouge out the washer and perma-seal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I finally got them out! I had to ask my dad for help. He pounded on it with a plastic mallet, a lot harder then I did. He was able to get the wooden washer and what was left of the perma-seal to pop up slightly. He also off set them so on one side the perma-seal was sticking up past the wooden washer. I used a pliers and some other tool I can't name to slowly pull out what was left of the perma-seal. As soon as that was out the washer came with it.

Is there anything I should do before hooking the regulator back up?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi mikaila31,

LOL, you will need a new seal! Use either fiber or permaseal (not both!) I would also check the threads of the fitting to make sure they are not damaged.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fiber washer is still whole. It has some scratches on one side, but other than that it seems fine. Is it still OK to use, or should I just get a new one?

The perma-seal is throughly destroyed though. I don't know where it most of it went. The part I got out appears to be just the out-most ring.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi mikaila31,

Try installing the regulator with the fiber washer that you have. After you have tightened the regulator to the tank and opened the valve from the tank, mix up a little soapy water (I use dish detergent but any sudsy soap will do) and pour it around the fitting. If you see bubbles, you have a leak. Try tightening a little more, or replace the seal. Do not over tighten! Hope this helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts