Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All.

Has anybody else here had problems growing R. rostrata? About a month ago, I planted six emersed pieces and things seemed okay for a while. One plant put out a runner, which successfully touched down, rooted, and started growing leaves. Another also did the same, except that before new leaves could grow out, the runner started rotting. I don't know if the daughter plant is going to survive. Then a number of other ones *started* throwing out runners, but before they got very long, they sort of stopped. Thinking that maybe these guys might be heavy root-feeders, I stuck some tiny pieces of Jobe's fertilizer spikes in the R. rostrata "area" and it doesn't appear to be doing much good. The one that successfully produced the daughter plant has thrown out a second runner, but all of the other mother plants appear to be doing more rotting than producing. This is the second time I'm attempting to grow this plant and I'm sorry to say it's not going much better than the first.

Is there something special it needs? Every other day I add traces + extra iron and on the other days, I add KNO3 and KH2PO4. I'm using DIY CO2 and 100% Flourite. The submersed leaves are melting, and some have rotted almost entirely down to the crown. It's so sad to see... :cry:

-Naomi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Naomi, I got a bunch from Guy during last plant swap. They have been growing runners like crazy, similar to chain swords. They are actually somewhat shaded by taller plants. It is a really easy plant. I suspect nutrient problem in your tank, not sure what from your dosing schedule. Do you have really soft tap water? That might be a problem, you might need to add Ca/Mg. If your other plants don't have twisted/bent/stunted leaves, then I suspect more of a Mg problem than Ca problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Yeah, mines doing well. Its a pretty neat little plant, perfect size. Naomi, if it doesn't work this time around, I've got some for you as a backup. I really like the weeping moss you sent me, really dark colored green. You are talking about the submersed growth that is melting correct? The round leaves are emersed leaves and they will rot as the submerged growth takes hold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IUnknown said:
Yeah, mines doing well. Its a pretty neat little plant, perfect size. Naomi, if it doesn't work this time around, I've got some for you as a backup. I really like the weeping moss you sent me, really dark colored green. You are talking about the submersed growth that is melting correct? The round leaves are emersed leaves and they will rot as the submerged growth takes hold.
Interesting... I never sent you weeping moss (I don't have any) :biggrin: . I think I sent you erect, a tiny bit of Taiwan, and some scrappy Java. Are you talking about the Taiwan moss? The one that grows out like an equilateral triangle?

Yes, I see both forms of leaves rotting from my Ranalisma (I was expecting the original emersed ones to rot, but some of them are still in better condition than the submersed foliage). The daughter plant grew out some nice-sized submersed leaves, but one of the blades has melted and the other two leaves are sort of undulated.

After Sha's post, I decided to add some epsom salt. I'll see if this does anything. I checked the GH before-hand and it was 8 degrees. Of course I have no idea how much is contributed by Ca vs. Mg, although I have been adding some gypsum and epsom salt at a ratio of 2:1 to the change water. Out of the tap, the GH is 4-5 degrees.

I guess this plant hates me, too (along with all red plants and most green ones :rolleyes: ). Oh, and Greg - thanks for the offer for some "backup." I may take you up on it. I'll let you know before the next SFBAAPS meeting.

Thanks, All!

-Naomi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
gnome said:
After Sha's post, I decided to add some epsom salt. I'll see if this does anything. I checked the GH before-hand and it was 8 degrees. Of course I have no idea how much is contributed by Ca vs. Mg, although I have been adding some gypsum and epsom salt at a ratio of 2:1 to the change water. Out of the tap, the GH is 4-5 degrees.
In that case, I doubt it is Mg then, you don't need a lot of Mg. don't know what it is.

gnome said:
I guess this plant hates me, too (along with all red plants and most green ones :rolleyes: ). Oh, and Greg - thanks for the offer for some "backup." I may take you up on it. I'll let you know before the next SFBAAPS meeting.

Thanks, All!

-Naomi
I am sorry so many plants seem to hate you, but don't give up. Keep giving them TLC and one day they will appreciate it. I can back you up too. I am sure pretty soon I will have more than I know what to do with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
I've never grown R. rostrata before, but I have kept R. humile (very similar from what I can tell) and it grew well for me in my hard water (KH ~14, GH ~18 ) and a substrate that contained some calcite buffering material. It could be that Ranalisma spp. like some hardness, although I'll admit that is pure conjecture.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top